4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been running XP Pro SP2 for several years (came loaded on the HP computer). Because of some flakiness in the system after all these years, I did a system rebuild (per Fred Langa's instructions on this site: http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=189500364). Worked exactly as advertised, and only minor tweaking was required to bring it back to where it was when I started.

I've been using my Epson Stylus Color 850 printer via a parallel port connection (it has no USB connectivity) since way back in the Win 2000 days, and continue to use it with my XP system (using the W2k driver, since Epson never updated the driver for XP). The driver works fine with XP. Before I rebuilt the XP system, when I would go to Control Panel/Printers and Faxes, my printer would show up as "EPSON Stylus COLOR 850". Right-clicking on Properties would bring up a comprehensive dialog for adjusting the printer settings and preferences.

Since I've rebuilt the OS, I still show EPSON Stylus COLOR 850 in the Printers and Faxes app, it still brings up the same Properties dialog, and it's still listed as my default printer.
    However, I now also show another printer in the Printers and Faxes window, listed as Epson Stylus COLOR 850 ESC/P 2. Right-clicking on Properties for this printer brings up a much less comprehensive dialog for settings and preferences. A discussion with Epson tech support (who really don't want to hear that their W2k driver works with XP), said that the new printer listing is because Windows XP has installed the printer using the Windows driver (not Epson's), so that the printer is showing twice, once for each driver. They suggested that I use the Windows driver, because they won't stand behind the W2k driver in XP. But the W2k driver is a much more comprehensive driver, and works fine.

When I attempt to uninstall the printer that uses the Windows driver, from the Add/Remove Programs app in the control panel, or when I delete the Epson Stylus COLOR 850 ESC/P 2 listing from the Printers and Faxes app, the next time I boot the computer, I get a dialog that says Windows has found new hardware, and it proceeds to re-install my printer with its own driver.

Since I only use the Printer with the W2k driver, I would permanently like to uninstall the second iteration of this printer, but I don't know how. It doesn't show in the Device Manager.
    I'd appreciate any suggestions for doing this.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Windows automatically installs the driver in response to finding the hardware, there is not much you can do about that.
    I would rename the printer as "Do NOT use" or similar.

cheers, Paul

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for responding, PT.
    The confusing thing is that this wasn't happening before I rebuilt the OS (I was only seeing the printer using the Epson driver).
    Would it be possible to find the Windows driver on the disk and delete it? Or maybe tell Windows not to automatically search for new hardware?

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Welcome to the world of software!
    If you remove the driver Windows will complain about not finding the drivers and then not bother you after that. It's not really an improvement.

cheers, Paul