3 Star Lounger
    Perhaps this should be posted under networking. I'm not sure. I have a desktop and 3 laptops, all with XP. I have folders on the desktop that I share with the laptops.

I recently got a new laptop with Windows 7. I thought I did everything right to have it join my network (frankly, I can't remember what I did; it was 6 months ago).

Anyway, it recognizes my desktop and shared files about 80% of the time. I like to back up certain files from this new laptop to a shared desktop folder. I use Windows Explorer. It works perfectly 80% of the time. But about 20% of the time my desktop is not recognized.

I can't seem to figure out what causes this. I might do other stuff, shut down the new laptop, boot up a few hours later, and it recognizes everything perfectly. I generally keep the desktop on all of the time. Once in awhile, I'll reboot the desktop.

Any thoughts on what I can try when the desktop is not showing up?

North Carolina, USA
    Hi Melvin,

Check out this How To Geek complete guide to networking Windows 7 to XP and Vista. It is a good tutorial for getting XP and Windows 7 to see and share files with one another. Be sure to click on the link Share Files and Printers Between Windows 7 & XP.

Hope this helps.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Super Moderator
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Sharing files within a Users folders has always been a nightmare. The desktop is included within the users folders. Also note that desktop in NOT normally backup by any "Standard" backup program, unless the full user folder is.

If one was to share files from within the user folder, then the users account MUST be set to allow this. I think one must set the folders to allow "Everyone" to have permissions to these folders, which now means that anyone can read and write to your files and folders.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.