Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello! I did a search on this subject and found this post in social.answers.microsoft.com describing exactly what I'm experiencing. Here’s the original post:

“In windows explorer, when I click on the arrow to expand a folder in the navigation pane (to see any sub-folders), the folder I am expanding drops to the bottom of the navigation pane, opening the sub-folders below it, but unseen. Should I want to expand one of the sub-folders, once I click on IT'S arrow, windows explorer takes me right to the top of the navigation pane, so that I can see my favourites but not the folder I have just expanded, although I can still see the files in the file list of the folder I was on.”

The forum answer, “Corrupted User is what the problem is. Fix it by creating a new one....”, points the member to a Microsoft article “Fix a corrupted user profile

My question is, has anybody here done this? Can I get my old user name back? Here’s what I think I want to do. Please let me know if any dangers lurk here:

Note: my current username is dmckeen
    1. Create new user to control the copy-to-new-user process.
    Username: director Password: [directorpasswd]
    2. Create new user to which I will copy files from dmckeen.
    Username dmckeen1 Password: [dmckeen1passwd]
    3. Log in as director. Copy files from dmckeen to dmckeen1 referring to:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/W...d-user-profile
    4. Delete user dmckeen
    5. Create new (old) user
    Username: dmckeen Password: [original dmckeen password]
    6. Still logged in as director, copy files from dmckeen1 to dmckeen.

Does anybody see any problems with this approach?

Thanks
    I would copy only your documents, pictures, music, etc. where you actually have saved files, and leave everything else. When you create a new user account, Windows will create all the necessary folders and subfolders.

You need not create a dummy account in order to do this, just make a folder on the hard drive and name it "saved files" or something to that effect, and then drag/copy your actual data files to that folder. And as I said, there's no need to copy any empty folders, just those where you actually have saved files.

Then logon as Administrator, delete your old user account, and create a new account to replace it, then drag/copy your saved files to the new account.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Dave, don't rely on it to fix those Explorer 'problems', MS representatives claimed much of that behaviour is 'by design' during the public Beta.

Here's a fairly random sample of some of the discussions at Technet about Explorer's behaviour in W7, January 09 - August 10.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello bbearren, I created a new user account and tried out Windows Explorer. It still did the weird jump-to-the-bottom trick. I'll just delete the user and look for something else. Valium?

Andy- OMG. I can't believe this. I'm sick!! I got half way through the thread you referenced and my head is swimming. Spinning! Isn't this kind of blatant disregard for their (Microsoft's) credibility and reputation? Or do they have nothing to gain by getting it right? (Talk about Windows Annoyances...) However, thanks- at least I'm not crazy or am not alone in my mental state.

Has anyone ever tried Classic Explorer by SourceForge?

- Dave

Lounger
    Thanks
    Andy, in the thread you referenced, scroll down to the entry at Monday, February 15, 2010 3:19 PM. Also another reference to Classic Explorer at the bottom of this forum thread.

- Dave

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave, you are my hero! This weird Win 7 behavior has been driving me nuts since I first installed the beta and has been an ugly blot on what is a really great OS. I install ClassicShell and now Explorer works the way it should. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter, you're very welcome! I was going nuts too. It looks like we're not alone. Read the threads in the ClassicShell discussion forum. The utility doesn't do everything. For example users still get that jumping action in the folder list in open and save dialog boxes. But it's so much better overall I'll take it! I didn't install the Classic Start Menu- I kind of like the way Windows 7 does it. Kind of, that is. )