Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I have IE 8, FF 3.6.8 and Chrome v6 all installed on my laptop. In a very unscientific approach (I did not actually time them with a stop watch) I am comparing IE 8 and Google Chrome. I have both set up to open 2 homepages and these forums when I first start my web browser (3 tabs in total). In my unscientific approach I could not discern any appreshible difference in the time for both IE 8 and Chrome v6 to open completely with all 3 web pages done loading. As I say this is not scientific because I do not have an accurate method to actual time these 2 events, but they sure seem almost the same. I do not see a difference at all. I do not see the faster loading that is claimed by Chrome. And since Chrome does have problems with certain web sites that I do use, IE 8 is my choice for now. I realize there is a Chrome 7 in development at this time.

FF actually seems slower than the other 2, again in these unscientific tests.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Firefox has long been known for very pedestrian startup times. The time has improved and I'm sure is a point of emphasis with version 4.

Once the program itself is loaded, most people can't tell the difference in page load times especially over the course of a typical browsing session. Of course anyone can find pages that perform better in one browser vs another. Since there has been a great deal of publicity about browser performance and Javascript performance in particular, Microsoft has been forced to respond with a new Javascript engine in version 9 of IE even though Javascript is a relatively small part of the browsing experience. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I think that for those of us who have a browser open almost all the time it really makes no difference which browser you use as long as the sites you visit are rendered properly.

Like you, I tend to stick with IE as I know there is high probability that any site I visit will render. I know about all the customization that can be done with other browsers but I don't care. I'd just as soon not install another piece of software and associated plugins (many of which make moving to a new version of the browser very problematic).

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I agree Joe. The insignificant differences in these page renderings do nothing toward convincing me to use either FF or Chrome over IE 8. Some say Chrome is more secure, but my feeling is that security comes from the way an individual uses their PC and the sites you visit, etc. If you keep your security apps up to date and are careful with what you do, your chances of infection are less. If I am surfing sites I am unfamiliar with I use Sandboxie to set up a virtual environment. I believe this allows me to check these new sites before adding them to my favorites for repeat visits using the regular browser. I also don't really care for most of the eye candy on my browser. The add ons I use can be used on IE 8 as well as FF or Chrome (I use Last Pass password manager, WOT and add blockers).
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, look Here
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    RR, It's really not worth the effort since I load 3 separate web pages in 3 separate tabs each time I open my browser of choice. Even if a saw a small difference it would make very little difference in my overall usage. The point is that because of the better overall coverage of assorted web sites by IE 8 over Chrome, this is my choice for everyday usage. I do at times use Chrome as well. FF is the browser that sits idle more than the other two on my PC now.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    In other words this is a matter of personal preference. Not unlike Red wine or White, Lite beer or Lager?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Ted, Here is another site you could try. http://browsermob.com/free-website-p...05722c4936ceb7

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RussB View Post
    In other words this is a matter of personal preference. Not unlike Red wine or White, Lite beer or Lager?
    Exactly. Since I do not see an appreciable difference between the browsers as far as speed loading, etc, my preference is for IE 8 because it's able to render more sites than Chrome. So yes, I guess it's personal preferencee.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    For some interesting reading on the subject.You can read all about here;Browser Blowout 2010
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    For some interesting reading on the subject.You can read all about here;Browser Blowout 2010
    I did read this about a week ago. My preference is IE 8 at this time. Perhaps when Google Chrome becomes more universal I will consider it as my default browser, who knows what the future may bring.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Ted, Here is another site you could try. http://browsermob.co...505722c4936ceb7
    This site appears to test the speed across the web. There are many sites similar to this. This is not the speed I am talking about. I'm talking about the comparative speed of IE 8 versus Chrome from the time I click on the shortcut until the time all 3 pages are fully loaded and ready for use. Both IE 8 and Chrome seem almost identical to me. Because of more universal acceptance of IE 8, that is my default for now. As stated above who knows what the future may bring.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Ted, when you first posted this topic, I started looking for a program I tried not so long ago but unable to find it or remember its name. These were the best I could find ( I thought ) will keep looking.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Firefox has long been known for very pedestrian startup times. The time has improved and I'm sure is a point of emphasis with version 4.

Once the program itself is loaded, most people can't tell the difference in page load times especially over the course of a typical browsing session. Of course anyone can find pages that perform better in one browser vs another. Since there has been a great deal of publicity about browser performance and Javascript performance in particular, Microsoft has been forced to respond with a new Javascript engine in version 9 of IE even though Javascript is a relatively small part of the browsing experience. That is not necessarily a bad thing. I think that for those of us who have a browser open almost all the time it really makes no difference which browser you use as long as the sites you visit are rendered properly.

Like you, I tend to stick with IE as I know there is high probability that any site I visit will render. I know about all the customization that can be done with other browsers but I don't care. I'd just as soon not install another piece of software and associated plugins (many of which make moving to a new version of the browser very problematic).

Joe
    I tend to agree with Joe on this one. Why install something that needs add ons, plug ins, to this, that, and something else. I'll stick with IE just because IT WORKS!
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Just one thing I would like people to consider about Chrome. When a tab or a plug-in crashes, you do not have to restart the entire browser. Just close the tab and reload the tab. This can be a time-saver, and it helps in preserving any log-ins which may be active in the uncrashed tabs. Otherwise, to each their own, but I prefer the fact that Chrome installs on a per-user basis, uses fewer Administrator privileges in a non-admin account, and opens each tab as a new process. And Chrome does not run Active-X. But speed is comparable to IE8, unless you are running Flash or HTML-5 video. There, Chrome runs circles around IE8. I know there are web sites which are not Chrome-friendly, but I have yet to encounter one.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    I have been using Firefox as my default browser for a few years now. If IE8 had been out at the time I switched from IE I would probably not have bothered installing and learning a new browser. But now MS has decided not to allow IE9 on XP, and so I shall stick with Firefox at least until I replace my PC.

I tried Chrome a month or two back and felt it was faster than Firefox, but that is of no relevance to me as it is hopeless at displaying web pages on my 120 dpi monitor: Should respect monitor DPI settings IE and Firefox just work in this respect.

JPL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast