Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Just a "Heads Up" Found that the popular "Unlocker Program" Has been updated and is now available for Windows "7" 64 \ 32 bit OS's (wouldn't run on "64") http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hello all,
    Just a "Heads Up" Found that the popular "Unlocker Program" Has been updated and is now available for Windows "7" 64 \ 32 bit OS's (wouldn't run on "64") http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ Regards Fred

Fred, When I click on your link I get a big red warning that this web site has been deemed unsafe. Any ideas on this? Cheers, Ted

[attachment=89905:Unlocker.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Fred, When I click on your link I get a big red warning that this web site has been deemed unsafe. Any ideas on this? Cheers, Ted

[attachment=89883:Untitled.png]
    It works fine for me in FF. WOT seems to show it as Excellent.

Regards

Not Quite
    Regards,

NotQuite, Not So Damp In Lotus Land

Administrator
    Thanks
    When I click on your link I get a big red warning that this web site has been deemed unsafe. Any ideas on this?
    This has been going on for years. The author has assured those who have contacted him that the site is safe and this is an issue with the Microsoft site screening software. I believe he has even contacted Microsoft to resolve the issue but evidently has not been successful.

Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted,
    For a while even "Norton" would not let you run this program ... to use it you had to "switch off Norton" I have downloaded this program from various "sites" and never had any problems ... If it make you feel any better you can download this (not sure about the 64) from "File Hippo" I think that these type of programs always "alert" you security because of what they can accomplish. Personally I'm glad that "Unlocker" 1.9.0 is now available for Windows "7" \ 64. I was spinning my wheels without it. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,

Hello - What is the purpose of the "Unlocker Program" ?

Thanks,
    Tim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post
    This is from the homepage:

Ever had such an annoying message given by Windows?

• It has many other flavors:

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
      There has been a sharing violation.
      The source or destination file may be in use.
      The file is in use by another program or user.
      Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

<LI>Unlocker is the solution!
    • 1. Simply right click the folder or file and select Unlocker

• 2. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of lockers will appear

• 3. Simply click Unlock All and you are done!

Joe

Thanks
    Fred, Good morning.

Used Chrome to download this.

Joe, Thanks for the info on MS and Unlocker. This is why I do keep more than just IE 8 even though I primarily use IE 8.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post

Thanks,
    Tim
    Tim,
    Hello,
    Just want to add my thoughts to this .... Windows OS (all flavors ) is kinda like the computer in the movie "2001 Space Odyssey HAL" HAL speaking ..... "Fred... i don't think that you should be removing that Fred ! " " Fred this is not a good idea ! " Windows does the same .... only with tools like "Unlocker " you can tell "HAL .. Windows" to" SHUT UP ! " I think that MS purposely "drags it's feet kicking and screaming " to prevent anyone from having tools like Unlocker, and others, so you can't "hack" into their OS. Heaven forbid that you want to remove something from Windows that YOU don't want ! on YOUR OS ! ....Rant over Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Fred,

I believe MS does this for a reason, the vast masses that use Windows have no concept what they are doing and do not Image , so when they screw up their system, who do they call? MS of course. MS would like to cut down the massive amount of support calls and emails and, etc, they get by making it a little harder to screw it up. Those of us that do know a little more can really screw things up, but that's why we Image. Just yesterday I REALLY mucked things up and had to resort to a full disk back up (all 3 partitions plus MBR) It took a while because I had not re-imaged my data drive for a while. The critical stuff was backed up on my wife's PC, whew!! It took a while to get eveything back, but without imaging I would still be working on it. I subsequently made a complete drive Image with Acronis 2011. The nice thing about this image is that I can restore one or all the partitions as I please. It's a little larger than a "C" partition image, and takes a little longer, but is more versatile. I'm not sure if this capability was available in 2010 as I never had to check it.

Sorry I digress. That's why MS makes it harder, I believe.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As a possible Alternative to "Unlocker", consider "LockHunter" , available at www.lockhunter.com, which I heard about on the excellent Wilders Security Forums .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin Taylor View Post
    As a possible Alternative to "Unlocker", consider "LockHunter" , available at www.lockhunter.com, which I heard about on the excellent Wilders Security Forums .
    Robin,
    Hello... I have and use both "LockHunter" and "Unlocker" Both work ... but not as well and reliably as "Unlocker" .. Just my experience as i have deleted things that make most PC users pass out. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks

[attachment=89905:Unlocker.png]
    eset smart security also goes nuts about this download.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by michael gault View Post
    eset smart security also goes nuts about this download.
    Michael,
    Hello.. there are other "downloads" that "Red Flag" your security, this being one of them. Wouldn't want to be without this program ....don't care what "goes nuts".... Thanks for you input Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Wouldn't want to be without this program ....don't care what "goes nuts"....
    I think it's worth researching these warnings, if the vendor provides detailed information. In some cases, it may be that legitimate programs have been bundled with malware so that the malware can make dangerous system changes. Obviously this should not prevent you from getting that program if you want it. If you are using a corporate IT product, some downloads may be blocked because they can be used for bypassing internal access controls ("hacking tools"). But home products are less likely to flag this type of "threat."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast