New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since doing a clean install of Win 7 X64 on my Gateway FX530XG desktop, it has randomly shutdown several times with no BSOD or the like. I end up having to power the system back on only to have it shutdown again a short while later. I haven't actually be using the system when it has shutdown but it's been no more than a few hours, if that in between powering back on and the next shutdown. I looked in Event Viewer and found the following events that are logged each time the shutdown occur. I tried adjusting the power settings to not allow the system to go to sleep but am not expecting that to help. If anyone can provide any suggestions or insight here, it would be appreciated!

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
    Date: 9/5/2010 7:57:35 PM
    Event ID: 41
    Task Category: (63)
    Level: Critical
    Keywords: (2)
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer:
    Description:
    The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

Log Name: System
    Source: EventLog
    Date: 9/5/2010 7:57:43 PM
    Event ID: 6008
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer:
    Description:
    The previous system shutdown at 6:50:44 PM on ‎9/‎5/‎2010 was unexpected.

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing/Admin
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-EventTracing
    Date: 9/5/2010 7:57:45 PM
    Event ID: 2
    Task Category: Session
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Session
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer:
    Description:
    Session "" failed to start with the following error: 0xC000000D

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Could be a heat problem or an power problem.

Do all the fans work properly?

Does the machine seem abnormally warm to you?

Does this happen on battery only?

Have you tried taking the battery out and runnin off the mains only?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Could be a heat problem or an power problem.

This is what I was thinking though not sure why now. I never had this problem when running Vista. I did replace the graphics card (from Nvidia 8800 GTS -> ATI HD 5570) but don't think that would be the cause. If anything, I think the GPU is running slightly cooler now.

Do all the fans work properly?

All fans appear to be working fine AFAIK.

Does the machine seem abnormally warm to you?

System seems to be running cool

Does this happen on battery only?

This is a desktop and not a laptop so don't think this or the next comments apply unless I'm missing something.

Have you tried taking the battery out and runnin off the mains only?

Joe
    Thanks for the feedback!

Thanks
    I'll asume this behavior didn't occur on your "Gateway FX530XG" with your previous operating system.
    If so, run Memtest 86 overnight.

Go through all of your drivers to ensure absolute compatibility with your Windows 7 , 64 bit os.
    Are these "shutdowns" coinciding with sleep or hibernation?
    Is the motherboard and bios capable of supporting W7's power schemes, specifically S3 or S4 sleep?
    Are all of your W7 settings default, no tweaks?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    I'll asume this behavior didn't occur on your "Gateway FX530XG" with your previous operating system.
    If so, run Memtest 86 overnight.

Correct -- this behavior did not occur with Vista, which is what I had running on it previously

Go through all of your drivers to ensure absolute compatibility with your Windows 7 , 64 bit os.
    Are these "shutdowns" coinciding with sleep or hibernation?

The default power scheme of setting the system to go to sleep seems to have been the culprit. Since configuring the power options such that the system never goes to sleep, I have not had a recurrence. Any particular reason why the system going to "sleep" would lead to a shutdown instead?

Is the motherboard and bios capable of supporting W7's power schemes, specifically S3 or S4 sleep?
    Are all of your W7 settings default, no tweaks?

Everything is default at this point -- no tweaks or the like

Thanks
    My son very recently discovered spontaneous reboots of Windows 7 on one of my PC's and the source of those reboots. While playing online games he was also corresponding via cell phone text messaging to some of his friends.

The correlation soon became apparent; when he sent a text message, the PC would reboot. He moved his cell phone away from the PC and ceased his messaging activity, and the spontaneous reboots also ceased. He then brought the cell phone close, sent a message, and the PC rebooted. He tried this a number of times, all to the same effect.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it is something to bear in mind.

Older BIOS used to have a "spread spectrum" setting that would reduce interference from or to other radio sources, but no such setting exists in the motherboard BIOS for the PC my son was using.

Just something to keep in mind...
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows