New Lounger
    Thanks
    A member of a graphics forum of which I am an administrator recently posted:

I've been using PSP5 fine for years, now all of a sudden it is giving me the warning message:

PSP5 =Windows Refuses to Install the Required system hook function, this capture mode can not currently be used

I believe this is something to do with PSP not having access to global hooks or something like that but have no idea what to do to correct it. Can anyone tell me what to do in layman's terms?

He's running XP with fairly recent security updates, but we have yet to discover what service pack he has installed.

Paint Shop Pro 5 is an old program (circa 1998), but most of our members are running several earlier versions on XP with no issues. We're stumped; can anyone here offer a suggestion?

Thank you!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its probably been mentioned in the other forum I'm guessing but what about a different free editting program like Paint.net? http://www.getpaint.net/
    I'm sure it must be much more powerful than PSP5 at this point, not difficult to learn to use for someone familiar with dedicated editors, and as mentioned, FREE!

Also for simple to moderate editing, Picasa, FastStone Image Viewer and Windows Live Photo Gallery, all very modern, up to date, and FREE!

I don't know about the hook problem but its quite likely in my opinion that an update to Windows has indeed excluded an area in the kernel or dll placement that PSP5 can no longer access, and the program is beyond antique, more like an archelogical relic.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you so much for the prompt response!

Your conclusion about the updates sounds likely. Many of our members have the latest version (X3, or 13) of PSP, but retain and use versions back to v. 7 on their XP and Win7 op systems. The newer older versions of PSP are still available, and I will suggest he give them a try, along with those you suggested.

Much appreciated!