4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In a couple weeks I'll be decommissioning a Windows 2003/Exchange 2003 mail server. I already have a Windows 2008/Exchange 2010 server in play. A few more steps are left like upgrading Outlook on the user desktops before I can move the mailboxes to the new mail server. Once that done, I assume there's no turning back to the old mail server and that's for the best. It's on its last leg.

Right now the new mail server is a member server and the old mail server is a backup domain controller (use to be primary). My other primary domain controller is Windows 2003. I have several member servers running Windows 2000, Windows 2003 and Windows 2008.

Will I run into problems having a Windows 2003 32-bit primary DC and Windows 2008 64-bit backup DC? Should I setup a different server to be the backup DC until I can have all DCs running the same OS or at least the all 64-bit? Should I promote the new mail server before I move the mailboxes or when I'm ready to shutdown the old mail server?
    Daisy

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Do not make your Exchange server a DC. Any problem that requires you to restore the DC will mean dropping Exchange and your users will not thank you for that.

You do not need to have DCs running the same OS or bit version, they only need to have the same functional level - I assume it is 2003 native or mixed. I suggest you use 2 small dedicated servers for the DCs, then there is no outage if you need to work on a DC. It is also worth making both GCs if the functional level is at least 2003.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to re-iterate what Paul said....having your Exchange box as a DC is not best practice for a variety of reasons, using Exchange as a DC is not great use of server roles, too many eggs in one basket to coin a phrase. Its also not great from a security perspective. I would advise that you run the other DC role on a different server and run DCPromo on your old exchange server as soon as you can to demote this as a DC.

Good luck

Guy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I hadn't done it yet and won't now. Very good advice. I'm going to keep my eye out for an inexpensive unit I can dedicate to the cause.
    Daisy