Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Have a Dell desktop that the CD/DVD player quit working. When I check it shows up and says it is working properly however any disk I put in will not run and when looking at it in Explorer it justs shows a blank disc. Thought it had just died and installed a different drive that I knew worked. It did the same. Have installed new ribbon cable and that did not help. Bought a new player and installed it and had the same results. Was told that the connection on my motherboard was apparently bad so I bought an external DVD player, connected it by USB and still get the same results. Everything shows up, says it's working properly but I cannot get anything to read a disk. Have tried CDs, DVD, Audio, nothing reads.

Thanks
    Need to know what operating system it is in order to help you.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Running Windows XP Have tried updating drivers for the original player but get the message that a newer driver cannot be found

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Bryan View Post
    Have a Dell desktop that the CD/DVD player quit working. When I check it shows up and says it is working properly however any disk I put in will not run and when looking at it in Explorer it justs shows a blank disc. Thought it had just died and installed a different drive that I knew worked. It did the same. Have installed new ribbon cable and that did not help. Bought a new player and installed it and had the same results. Was told that the connection on my motherboard was apparently bad so I bought an external DVD player, connected it by USB and still get the same results. Everything shows up, says it's working properly but I cannot get anything to read a disk. Have tried CDs, DVD, Audio, nothing reads.
    Terry,
    Hello... I don't know anything about "XP" but have some Questions ..
    1. Does the CD\DVDRW show up in .. BIOS, Explorer , and Disk management ?
    2. If it does .. What security are you "running" ?
    3. Is there an "Auto Play" setting that you can check?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    when looking at it in Explorer it justs shows a blank disc. .....
    Have tried CDs, DVD, Audio, nothing reads.
    What does Explorer show for CDs, DVD, Audio, etc. Is it always blank? Can you make Explorer screenshots of each?

Can you make a new CD/DVD of data and see it in Explorer?

If you have another computer available, what does Explorer show for each CD, DVD, etc. ?

Responses to Fred's queries will be very helpful.

Thanks
    Open Regedit by going to START-Run & type Regedit & hit enter.
    Then you should navigate to the following entry in registry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.Highlight the{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} folder in the left pane,delete the following (2) two keys in the right pane. "UpperFilters"
    "LowerFilters"
    DELETE these (2) two entries & restart your computer.If your DVD-RAM is supported by WINDOWS XP,this may work.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The player does show up in the Setup list when booting, it shows up in Disk Management and shows it is connected and working properly. When I installed the new internal and rebooted the computer it recognized a new device, loaded the driver and said it was connected and ready. Still did not show anything when I inserted a disk. When I connected the second new player by USB I got the same results. I can put in a disk, the player starts running, light flashes a few times and it just eventually stops. When I go to Explorer it shows the player as a drive but when I click on it I get nothing showing in the drive. I occasionally get the pop up that Windows can do the same thing everytime I install a blank disk.
    Have tried the disks on other computers to make sure they weren't bad. Have tried data, CD, DVD and adio disks. Even on the new player I bought the installation CD that came with it is not read when I put it in.
    I am running McAfee security. Have tried disabling it but there is no difference.
    I had initially thought that my CD player had just gone bad. After advice and testing several things, and installing a different player, we determined that the connection on the motherboard was bad so I bought a new external player that connects by USB however I get the exact same results with it. Conclusion is that it has to be the operating system however I cannot find anything wrong. Will try the Regedit tonight.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The player does show up in the Setup list when booting, it shows up in Disk Management and shows it is connected and working properly.
    Terry,
    Hello... When in disk management is there a "drive letter" assigned to the drive ?
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no drive letter shown in Disk Manager however there is no drive letter there for my hard drive either. There is a drive letter shown in Explorer. I tried to attach screen shots of Disk manager and Explorer however get the message that files are too big.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no drive letter shown in Disk Manager however there is no drive letter there for my hard drive either. There is a drive letter shown in Explorer. I tried to attach screen shots of Disk manager and Explorer however get the message that files are too big.
    Terry,
    Hello.. this maybe a typical to "XP" I have never run XP so i don't know ... However in Vista and "7" you can assign drive letters to all devices , ...If they are not assigned ...they are not "seen" by the OS.. can you give them a letter assignment? (using "Disk Management" ) Regards Fred
    PS maybe someone who has some experience with XP can "jump in here"
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no way I can find to assign a drive letter in Disk Manager. When partioning the hard drive I can assign letters but the CD player has always just automatically been assigned a letter after the hard drive.

The thing that I cannot figure out is that I bought a new external plug and play drive with USB connection. When I connected it the computer recognized it, loaded the drivers, said it was ready but when I pop in the installation CD or any other disk it will not show any content either.

Tried the registry edit mentioned below and deleted the lower filters, there was no upper, rebooted and get the same results.

I have to go to a meeting this evening but I'm about to the point when I can find time of finding a backup of my system and reinstalling. The problem with that is any backup is going to be about a year old, I know , and will require several programs and updates to be installed after I restore.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    There is no way I can find to assign a drive letter in Disk Manager.
    Terry,
    Hello... Open "Disk Manager", and find the CD \ DVD RW drive and right click on it.. on my OS's (Vista and 7 ) the pop up gives the option to change drive letters and paths Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Terry - I have Windows XP Pro on a Dell Desktop. Can try to help you. You are getting some odd symptoms.

What drive letters are showing in Explorer?

How much free space is available on your hard drive?
    Screen shot "files are too big" ? I don't understand why you cannot make a screen shot of Disk Management and Explorer. What program are you using to make screen shots?

Do you have a USB Flash/Thumb/Stick drive that you can test? Try to read and write that drive. Does that drive show up with a letter in Explorer/Disk Management?

If you disconnect the internal CD/DVD drive, does that help at all to see your USB drives?

Can you try a different USB port?

What Model is your Dell? Do you know the Dell specs for your desktop?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Explorer it shows my hard disk partitioned as C through H and the CD/DVD shows up as drive J. This is what I get for both the internal and external drive. I can disconnect the drive and J no longer shows, I can reconnect it and it automatically shows up again. Disk Manager says it works properly and going through the trouble shooter is no help.
    Have 500 GB hard drive with multiple partitions. All have a lot of room
    For trying to attach the screen shots I am simply doing a print screen and saving it in Paint. Didn't really look at each file to see the actual size, didn't have much time last night between work and a meeting.
    My USB connections work for everything else. What started this entire affair is my printer finally gave out and when I bought a new one found out my CD drive would not read the installation disk. Finally ended up copying that disk to a thumb drive and doing the installation that way. My printer, scanner, USB hub, mouse, etc all work fine.
    The new drive will connect just fine with the USB connection, the computer recognizes it and loads the drivers from Windows however when I put a disk in the drive it runs for a bit, the lights flash and it finally just quits. Explorer shows the CD drive with the correct callout but will not show any information or run any disk I put in. Going to Setup during boot shows the CD/DVD drive.
    I have a Dell 3000, Pentium 4, 2.8 gz. It's about 5 years old so I as said, my first thought was the original drive had just died. Have not attached it to another computer to confirm it's still good however have installed a different internal and new external in this computer and get the same results with everything.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try disabling AutoPlay ...
    Disable Autoplay of Audio CDs and USB Drives
    It is kind of MS speak .... You have to "Enable" "Turn off Autoplay"

[attachment=89932:Turn off Autoplay.jpg]

Do you have any software that is trying to auto run the CD/DVD such as Roxio, Nero, etc.?

Do you use MagicJack?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast