Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Once again i find myself at another crossroad ( having to renew or not )... Thought that i might ask for opinions about PC security.. With ear plugs firmly in-place. I have and been using Norton 360 from version 2.0 (now 4.2) ..... Waiting for the screaming to die down.......With only minor problems and am quite happy with "Norton" overall. There are many postings about "free security" programs and have extolled their benefits.... small footprint, easy on system resources , etc. and how many dislike Norton for one reason or another. Norton 360 is an all in one security suite .... that's the part that i like most, no messing around with keeping up updating different individual programs. As a matter of fact Norton 360 updates constantly ..is always checking in and if there is an " definitions update" any time your on line. Unlike MS that offers "patches \ updates" once a month. I believe that PC security and Mal-ware are both "moving targets" and you need to be up to date sooner rather than later, as in the "MS" example...... So how about some of your input about your PC security, good , bad , or how you hate mine. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    With only minor problems and am quite happy with "Norton" overall.
    It looks like you already have answered that for yourself Fred.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    It looks like you already have answered that for yourself Fred.
    Hi Clint,
    Yes ...but I'm trying to get other opinions, as my only experience is with "Norton" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Hi Fred,

Having a hardware firewall based router, I use the Windows 7 firewall (but not on XP - I use Online Armor Free Firewall on XP), Avast Antivirus Free (on some computers), Microsoft Security Essentials on some, and I also have MalwareBytes Anti-malware Free installed just to have a second tool to scan on demand. I also keep SuperAntiSpyware Free portable USB edition up to date on a thumb drive to do checks from time to time.

I have used Avast 4 and now Avast 5 going on three years, but not quite a year using MSE on the other computers. We have never had any malware difficulties, but I realize I could make a blunder and self infect myself on any given day. And obviously, no security system is 100% effective. I abandoned the pay for suites about four years ago, and tried different software until I settled on the ones I use now.

As far as updating the programs, they all update themselves automatically, so no worry there. The only ones I manually update are MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware. I have much more difficulty in coordinating Windows Update on the machines. I have Windows Update set to advise me of updates, but allow me to decide when to download and install. I then check the WS Newsletter and Ask Woody before I install the updates.

Oh, by the way, I am glad you have not experienced trouble with Norton, but I too have removed Norton from several client computers due to problems they were having with it, and replacing it with the ones I have been using. Now I don't make any more money from those clients!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Hi Fred, here;s mine. The best thing I ever did, was to buy Agnitum Outpost FW Pro. with lifetime updates. It has all the qualities of a software FW in bucket loads. During installation it gives the options, 1 Web Control 2 Antispyware and a WARNING re incompatible programs you have installed,i.e. Antivirus or Spyware. Personally I do not use Outposts Antspyware as it fails, for reasons unknown, to open & scan certain files, then I'm free to have any AV I want. As to Web Control, its lightyears ahead of any Ad Block program. At present it is on offer for 50 Bucks with life time updates. http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/ its also one of the easiest to use and I've tested a few.
    I also keep a copy of SuperAntispyware Portable in case the fan changes color, but if I feel a scan is needed I get a fresh copy first from.Here.
    I also do a 'System Backup' with Acronis 2010 before experimenting, then I'm able to completely reverse my 'boobs' using Recovery feature.
    __

Extract from Acronis User Guide.

System State (file-level backup of the boot files, registry, protected Windows files, and COM+ CLASS
    registration database). Backing up the System state allows you to recover the system files, drivers,
    etc., but not the data files and folders you use in your work. For more information on the System
    State backup see Microsoft TechNet article Backing Up and Restoring Data.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I don't care for the "all in one" security suits which are usually part of a paid subscription, largely
    because they are bulky, resource intensive, and often include things I have no use for.
    But if it works for you and you are satisfied with the program, then by all means keep it.

Right now, many of the free AV/AM offerings are sufficient, unless of course, it's the tech support one is reliant upon.
    There also needs to be people out there supporting the industry (paid services) or we will not have many decent free programs anymore.

But if your the type who loves to experiment with software, and I think you are Fred,...
    Perhaps you could run a 6 months test with MSE, the biult in Windows 7 firewall, a decent router, and
    a free antimalware program like Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, or Spybot-S&D.
    All are free and should be sufficient for your needs and experience.

I believe that PC security and Mal-ware are both "moving targets" and you need to be up to date sooner rather than later, as in the "MS" example...... So how about some of your input about your PC security, good , bad , or how you hate mine. Regards Fred
    MSE has frequent definition updates, almost daily, not to mention the new version upgrade coming soon.
    MSE is still very new and has yet to stand the test of time.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Fred, good evening.

I use MSE AV / AM for my security needs. This along with an occasional scan by Spybot Search and Destroy and MalwareBytes has served me well. I used to use Norton and am one of those that cringe at the name. The first few versions were fine, but as the suite got more complex, the problems started adding up, so good-bye and good riddance. With MSE and Win 7 firewall and my hardware firewall I have never been infected. Sure the fraudulent Security apps that pop up have to be handled differently, but I'm ready for them as well, and I have not found an AV/AM app that blocks users actions (should I say stupidity).

I guess to comclude, you would have to pry MSE from my cold dead hands!!!

Cheers, Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If your PC has a few CPU cycles to spare and you need to be extra sure that you are covered if (when) MSE or it's updates get bugged, use Avast! alongside it.

Thanks
    Unlike Norton Internet Security or the full-blown Norton SystemWorks, Norton 360 is small, lightweight, agile, and will not strain your computer's resources. That's the good news.

Now for the bad news. The program is not user configurable, and Tech Support is abysmal. I find the Norton India Script-Drones who want to escalate every call for $99.00 per incident abysmal. And right off the bat, Norton 360 version 2 began to block Firefox 3 from updating or uninstalling its add-ons. Norton Tech Support would not even address the issue. And no Exceptions or Permissions or Policy Tables like all the free security products seem to have. No user forums either. On line, it's either an Answer-Bot, or $99.00 per incident. And due to Live Update, my Internet Connection was constantly active. Slowed browsing to a crawl.

Version 3 or 4 may have improved somewhat, but I still would never touch Norton products again with a ten-foot polecat. The only worse company I've ever bought from is Prevx, and that "intelligent" program was blocking everything all the time if anything was ever changed in any way (as in program or Microsoft updates).

Stick with free security programs, and you will be just as well protected. And a lot freer to choose or switch as needed. And keep more change in your pocket.

As for frequency of updates, just because Norton is always calling home, does not mean they update their definitions or tweak their predictive heuristics more frequently. They just tie up your COM services more of the time, slowing other processes to a crawl. Avast on automatic updates, has about one update every two hours, if there is anything new. If not, it just stays put and lets other programs use the COM services. Same with AVG.

If you have 64-bit Windows, I would not advise using a 32-bit or hybrid 32/64-bit security program. Spybot Search and Destroy is not Native 64-bit, last I read. Malwarebytes (MBAM) is a hybrid. Super Antispyware (SAS) is Native 64-bit. As a second-opinion scanner, I trust SAS more than MBAM. Avast does cover 64-bit security, and so does the Comodo Firewall. I do not think Zone Alarm is Native 64-bit presently, but this may have changed. AVG is still a hybrid, last I knew. Microsoft Security Essentials (MSSE) is Native 64-bit.

On windows 7 I use the Windows Firewall. But on windows XP I use Comodo. MSSE and SAS work perfectly well for me as Windows 7 64-bit security. With XP 32-bit I use Avast and MBAM and SAS. For XP I also check for rootkits with F-Secure Blacklight. Clearly, I am a lot more concerned about XP security than Windows 7 64-bit security. XP needs a lot more help in that department, if you ask me.
    -- Bob Primak --

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    Stick with free security programs, and you will be just as well protected. And a lot freer to choose or switch as needed. And keep more change in your pocket.

On windows 7 I use the Windows Firewall. But on windows XP I use Comodo. MSSE and SAS work perfectly well for me as Windows 7 64-bit security. With XP 32-bit I use Avast and MBAM and SAS. For XP I also check for rootkits with F-Secure Blacklight. Clearly, I am a lot more concerned about XP security than Windows 7 64-bit security. XP needs a lot more help in that department, if you ask me.
    Bob,
    Hello.. It seems that there are many users of the security program " Avast" I have looked into their Web page and see the comparison chart (free vs pay) it would seem that the "free" doesn't offer much. Am i mistaken in this thinking ... or is this basic program enough when coupled to "7 \ 64" firewall and Malwarebytes ? One thing that i do know is that i do not want to use MSE in any form.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    One thing that i do know is that i do not want to use MSE in any form.
    Fred,

Why?

I've been using MSE & Windows Firewall on 2 Laptops (mine & spouses) and my desktop for 5 months now with nary a blip. I did this as a trial and am completely happy with the decision. I was a big fan of AVG & Comodo Firewall combination but I like this better. I have no constant popups to deal with and occasional scans with MalwareBytes and some root kit scanners confirm no problems. My machines also boot faster with this combo. You might want to rethink your position on the MS products. I'm glad I did.

Regards.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Fred,

Why?

I've been using MSE & Windows Firewall on 2 Laptops (mine & spouses) and my desktop for 5 months now with nary a blip. I did this as a trial and am completely happy with the decision. I was a big fan of AVG & Comodo Firewall combination but I like this better. I have no constant popups to deal with and occasional scans with MalwareBytes and some root kit scanners confirm no problems. My machines also boot faster with this combo. You might want to rethink your position on the MS products. I'm glad I did.

Regards.
    Hi "Geekster"
    This might be a little off topic and my response will cause me to "take -a- woopin".... but i have my "helmet" on now so here goes... Based on my experience with Vista and now "7" ( I know ...somewhat limited ) is the following observation.... After you install your "OS"..... it will have few, or no patches or updates (a good thing ). (my Vista OS, i call it SP-0 has been running as an experiment for about 12 or 13 months now without one patch or update).. Next step. Then i install all my programs, and in my two examples ... everything was working ... HOORAY! Now for the big common error in thinking... Most at this point will quickly install every patch \ update that is available. (insane) From this point forward i have found that things will start "going south" quickly.. programs that worked start to have "bugs" (freeze ups last being windows 7) or some other crazy behavior . Bottom line for me now is ...Once my OS and all programs are working.... never ..ever... update or patch "MS" again... Unless there is some program that i want that needs some "MS" thingy (.NET etc.) "Patching?, I ask WHY ? ...Will your system run any better than... "everything is working" ? OK back to security... If my strategy is correct (security wise) then why would i need any of "MS" patches ? Let Norton and Malwarebytes handle it all. So..... MSE ..not for me...hey that rhymes Regards Fred... let the "woopin beguin"
    PlainFred

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

All I can say is that in today's environment {Wild Wild Internet} you need every defense you can get. Relying on any security program to catch all possible attacks on a known operating system problem that has been patched is just, IMHO, crazy. Several of the most virulent virus attacks in history have been against known & patched OS problems. Why were they so bad...because too many people/organizations weren't up-to-date with MS OS patches. But, hey it's your machine.

Regards
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Agreed, you should be patching your os, even if you do so selectively.
    Take a fresh approach the next time you clean install; Fully update the os prior to installing your programs.
    You are far less likely to ecounter issues.
    Consider dumping those programs that cause conflict (Symantec), instead of dumping the os patches.
    Also consider dumping Vista for Windows 7, it really is superior to Vista in every way.

Dr Who had some decent advice for you in the last thread relating to AV software, you know the one I'm referring to.
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    .. With ear plugs firmly in-place. I have and been using Norton 360 from version 2.0 (now 4.2) ..... Waiting for the screaming to die down.......

.... This might be a little off topic and my response will cause me to "take -a- woopin".... but i have my "helmet" on now so here goes... Regards Fred... let the "woopin begin"

The ear plugs and helmet could be adequate !!!!

I can hear in the background .... If it ain't broke, don't fix it !!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast