Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

spell checker not picking up typo in long sentence (W97 - Sr2a)

HIya -

The following word 'thousand' is mispelt as thousnd
    in a paragraph.
    When we run spell check -
    Spelling & Grammer picks up the paragraph as a long
    sentence but doesnt pick up the typo.

eg
    (e) To the FOUNDATION OF AUSTRALIA of 411 SomeWhere Over the Rainbow, Far Far Away the sum of TEN THOUSND DOLLARS ($10,000.00) absolutely AND I DECLARE that the receipt of the secretary treasurer or other proper officer of the said FOUNDATION OF AUSTRALIA shall be a full and sufficient discharge to my Trustees for this disposition nor shall my Trustees be bound to see to the application thereof.

If I type the mispelled word - will pick up spelling mistake
    however if I click on ignore on this word - save & close
    & run spell checker ignores this word.

if I type misspelled word & run spell checker - & dont do anything
    If I save & close
    & run spell checker will pick up this word.

questions:
    1.in 1st paragraph click ignore -(you don have a choice to go to next) ignores the paragrah- how do we overcome this long sentence & type in long sentence?
    does long sentence always overwrite typo within long sentence -
    is there a setting in word that will rectify this?
    2. can anyone provide info or point me in the right direction to obtain more info on how this operates?

TIA Diana

Thanks

Re: spell checker not picking up typo in long sentence (W97 - Sr2a)

Spell check defaults to ignoring words in UPPERCASE letters. (Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar)

Sometimes a portion of a document unexpectedly will be marked "No proofing" (a Tools, Language setting).

I just can't see that the length of the sentence should have anything to do with it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I agree that the length of the sentence should not have anything to do with it. I'm not sure how this works in Word 97, but in Word 2000, every time you run a spell check Word stores a list of words you have chosen to ignore in that document. This is in addition to your custom spelling dictionary to which you have the option of adding words. Once you have ignored a word in a document, Word 2000 will not show it as misspelled in that document. If you ignore by mistake, you can be left with a misspelled word. You can go to Tools/Options and click on the Spelling and Grammar tab and find a button called "Recheck document". If you click on this, it clears the list of ignored words for that document and spellcheck will find them again. Again, I'm not certain it works the same way in Word 97, but it would certainly be worth looking for it.

Lee Morgan

JustCallMeAl

In Word97, if you "Ignore All" a word during spell check, it will continue to ignore that word as long as that session of Word exists. As soon as you exit Word, and restart Word, that word will come up as misspelled again. I would be surprised if Word 2000 worked differently.

So, for Word 97, it isn't for that document only, but it is for as long as your Word session. Exit Word and it resets.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl

We have closed session of word & gone back in & have done a spell check -
    however it ignores all -
    therefore it seems to store the 'ignore all' info with the doc file.
    If we then retype the typo - run spell check - will then pick up the spelling mistake.

I've done some research on the microsoft web site & found the following:
    However the solution doesnt apply as we cant break up our sentence into smaller sentences.
    Diana

MSDN: article Q167655
    WD97: Frequently Asked Questions About the Grammar Checker
    Q. Why is it that when a sentence is flagged as being too long, that's the only advice given for the sentence?

A. Long sentences are often difficult to read both for people and for the grammar checker.
    The grammar checker is not sophisticated enough to detect grammatical errors in long sentences.
    If you are in doubt about the grammatical accuracy of a long sentence, you should break it up into smaller sentences.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I am using Office 2000 on this machine and in the Tools, Options pane and on the Spelling ... tab, you will see a "Recheck Document" button near the bottom. If I remember right, in Office 97 there is the same thing, but it may be on the spell checking pane.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.