New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hardware: Toshiba Satellite A65-S1062, original configuration, with additional memory from Toshiba / Kingston
    Video: ATI Mobility Radeon 7

Problem: The os installed on the hdd hangs after boot selection whether you select normal, safe, or diagnostic boot. The recovery console, my bootable XP SP3 Pro slipstreamed CD, and original Toshiba "Recovery" CD (restore to factory installation) all hang when ntdetect tries to scan the hardware. Once ntdetect has begun, there is no more activity on the hdd or dvd. Also, I tried a bootable Ubunto Linux Live CD that works on my desktop computer, but the laptop saw it as a non-bootable disk.

Incident: (Sorry for the long post.) Power cord was unplugged and then re-inserted into computer. Screen immediately went to black with a few "lines" of color about a third of the way down from the top. After trying the usual fixes--restore, reinstall driver, find new driver, etc--I finally discovered I had to flash the ACPI bios from 1.4 to 1.9 before I could successfully install ATI driver version 6.14.10.6430. Both updates were from Toshiba's support site. After doing this, I decided to perform some maintenance: installed recovery console, updated drivers from Toshiba, installed critical windows updates, including SP3 which somehow got turned off, ran some malware / virus checkers (no issues), ran some windows utilities like chkdsk and sfc.

Everything worked fine, until I plugged in the USB mouse and received an "unknown device" error. Since I had been using the touch pad, I don't know if the mouse stopped working with the original incident or later. Device Manager reported that any device--mouse, thumb drive, external hard drive--plugged into any of the USB ports as "unknown device". However, it reported no problems with the controllers or root hubs (no yellow bangs). It also couldn't "find new hardware" when a device was plugged into the USB ports. I tried a USB light and the ports are getting power. Following Microsoft Article 817900, I was at step 3, disabling USB controllers, when the computer started running very slowly. Taskman reported that System (not system idle process) was using 98-99% of CPU. Eventually, I got windows to reboot and it "found" the new USB controllers, but again System was running at 99%. After about 3 hours, I had to do a hard reboot as laptop was starting to run hot. The result is that now I can't get the system to boot at all, and the USB problem is probably not fixed either At this point, I'm out of ideas.

The only good news I have is the drive was imaged to my network file server after the incident, but before the "fixes". 'The laptop mainly used as the family netbook, but I'd really like to get it operational again. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It may be drastic but a clean install might help . First though try connecting the HHD to another PC as a slave so that you can get all your data off it, unless of course you have an up to date back-up.

stuck

Thanks
    Try the Clean Boot trouble shooting procedure:
    XP Clean Boot

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry about your problem.

The fact that the Ubuntu LiveCD failed to boot causes to me to wonder how your laptop knows to boot from a location other than your hard drive. Some systems flash information on a key to press in order to enter a boot menu before Windows loads. Other systems require that you enter Setup (BIOS) and reorder the boot sequence by moving the CD in front of the HDD. Are you confident that your laptop was reading the CD and still failed to boot using Ubuntu?

I should add that running Ubuntu successfully would suggest your problem is a Windows problem or a hard drive problem. If you are willing to spend a little money, I'd suggest buying a copy of SpinRite and running it to "repair" your HD should it find some bad sectors. I've be able to get a couple of systems to boot that were unbootable by simply using this wonderful little program.

Should Windows be the problem, you could use Ubuntu to copy your data to a flash drive and then restore your laptop to it's original state using Toshiba's recovery system.

Hope you're able to get over your hurdle.

Ron

Thanks
    Did you run checkdisk with the r switch from a boot disk, not from within the os, but from the command line before windows loads?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help.

Stuck - I would do a clean install if i could, but the installation disc hangs. I do have a complete backup (image) of the drive so that's not a problem.

Jerry - Good procedure, but since I can't boot the computer, I couldn't use it.

Ron, I set the bios to boot first from cd drive (pressing c during start up works too), but I know it's reading the cd first, because it reports that "there is no bootable disk in the cd drive". Spinwrite is a good idea though.

Clint, I can't even get to a command line.

Stuck's post gave me an idea though, I could put the laptop drive in my desktop computer and see if I can access it there, but I'll have to order an adapter.

Thanks
    Clint, I can't even get to a command line.
    Any bootable disk with dos on it will do. The boot disk can be based on either CD, floppy, or a USB thumb drive.

Make sure that you set up in your bios to boot to CD/DVD or USB, depending upon the type of boot media.
    Can you at least get into the BIOS? If not, I would say you have a bigger problem.

I have Spinrite on a USB thumb drive that works well for me, it may take awhile to run depending upon the size of the disk.

But the main thing is trying something simple first, like the checkdisk command with the "r" switch before proceding to
    something more complicated. The checkdisk may resolve it, or it may not. There is also a possibility it could be a corrupted MBR.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Update: My local tech store didn't have an adapter, but I did pickup an external drive enclosure and hooked the hdd to my desktop via usb. Even my desktop can't access the drive! I'm getting "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I tried chkdsk /f /r and even format, from the command line, and neither worked. This may be because it is an external drive or it may be that the hdd is toast! It will probably be a week or more before I get an adapter and a new hdd, but I'll let you know. Thanks again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by techdoodle View Post
    Update: My local tech store didn't have an adapter, but I did pickup an external drive enclosure and hooked the hdd to my desktop via usb. Even my desktop can't access the drive! I'm getting "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error". I tried chkdsk /f /r and even format, from the command line, and neither worked. This may be because it is an external drive or it may be that the hdd is toast! It will probably be a week or more before I get an adapter and a new hdd, but I'll let you know. Thanks again.
    hdd is dead, this i suggest you buy a new one.