New Lounger
    Thanks
    I updated Firefox yesterday and was informed that Adobe Flash Player needed updating. When I tried to do this Firefox refused to download the installation file because I was missing a plugin. "Additional Plugins are required to display all the media on this page." I do have Shockwave Flash 10.1.53.64. The Adobe site states that Firefox users must change options to allow software to be installed. The instruction page refers to the installation of Adobe Reader. The instructions show an options bar, which I can't see on my Firefox, and shows the next step after editing the options as "2. Add the web site to the sites which are allowed to install add-ons". I can't find this dialogue in the Tools Options dialogue. Help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    I updated Firefox yesterday and was informed that Adobe Flash Player needed updating. When I tried to do this Firefox refused to download the installation file because I was missing a plugin. "Additional Plugins are required to display all the media on this page." I do have Shockwave Flash 10.1.53.64. The Adobe site states that Firefox users must change options to allow software to be installed. The instruction page refers to the installation of Adobe Reader. The instructions show an options bar, which I can't see on my Firefox, and shows the next step after editing the options as "2. Add the web site to the sites which are allowed to install add-ons". I can't find this dialogue in the Tools Options dialogue. Help would be appreciated.
    That "additonal plug-in" is the Adobe Download Manager (DLM). You need to click on the Install button to get the DLM and the Flash update. Then, after Flash is updated, go to Add/Remove Programs and remove the Download Manager, as it can function as a "back door" and allow the downloading of malicious software. At that point, your update should be complete. You may need to remove the old plug-in before the new version will install. This plug-in is not located within the Firefox user data folders, but lives in C://Windows/System32/Macromed/Flash . The plug-in and the Active-X version may be present, and if possible, both should be removed before updating. Both IE and Firefox need to use the Adobe Download Manager, unless you use the stand-alone update installers available from FileHippo.com. These installers do not use the Adobe Download Manager.

While you are at it, your Shockwave Player is at least one full version out of date. Update that as well.

To check on out of date plug-ins, download and install Secunia PSI and run it every couple of weeks. You will find all sorts of insecure items which can be updated and/or removed the first few times you run PSI.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your swift reply. I've searched but cannot find the DLM. The help page states "Enable the DLM (Adobe Download Manager) at the top of the browser tab containing the Flash Player download page (also called the Thank You page). " Unless I am going completely blind it is not there. I click the install button on http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ and get taken to the Thank You page but cannot see the DLM enable. The download doesn't start so I can't use another installer (or is this just blind assumption?) I've never had this problem before. Can you recommend a stand alone update installer, please.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Further to the above. I went to FileHippo and downloaded 10.1.82.76. Now I'll remove the previous as you recommended. After that do I need an installer?

Thanks
    Further to the above. I went to FileHippo and downloaded 10.1.82.76. Now I'll remove the previous as you recommended. After that do I need an installer?
    If you went the FileHippo route and got then latest version, once it is installed, just delete the stand-alone installer from wherever it was temporarily stored while you ran it. Normally, this is a Temporary Folder, so the installer would just go away the next time you log out of the account you had open when you did the installation. In Windows 7, there is usually also a copy in your Downloads Folder, and this folder should be cleaned out periodically anyway.

There are separate stand-alone Flash Player installers for each browser, so you need to get one of each for whatever browsers you have installed on your computer. There is not a separate Flash Player for 64-bit browsers, as this player does not yet have any 64-bit version. As I recall, Shockwave only needs a single installation for everything.

Did you notice that I also said you need to update your Shockwave Player? Filehippo has the latest of that as well. It's Version 11.x. Try Secunia PSI -- you can also find out other things on your computer which may need updating (especially Java Runtime).

The Adobe Download Manager normally automatically downloads and starts running as soon as I click on the Install Button on the alert bar which says I need an additional plug-in for the Adobe download page. But since I prefer not to use the Adobe DLM, it is best in my opinion to go with the latest stand-alone installer, and then get rid of the stand-alone installer as well as the older version of the plug-in. In fact, it does no harm to just get rid of the old Active X and Firefox plug-in older versions from the System32/Macromed/Flash Folder before downloading the new installers. Temporarily you would not have any Flash Players installed, but the downloads quickly take care of that. Cleaning up with CCleaner is another good thing to do at the end of this process. That gets rid of any Registry entries pointing to the (now removed) older player versions.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again.I ran PSI and when I looked at the patched files Secunia told me there was a problem with Adobe DLM prior to Feb 2010. So I uninstalled the DLM and got rid of the program files and ran the Flash Uninstall prog.Now I have the 2 flash player exe files and the shockwave exe files and will create a registry backup and retire from the fray until tomorrow. Cheers J

Thanks
    Usually you can download the current player installers from these URLs without installing a download manager or third party extras:

ActiveX version for IE:
    http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flas..._player_ax.exe

Plugin version for other browsers:
    http://fpdownload.adobe.com/get/flas...ash_player.exe

Always be cautious and carefully check the URL, then save and scan any EXE downloads before running them.

Lounger
    Thanks
    BTW: The FF 'Allowed to install' is under Tools, Options, Security Tab, and the first 'Exceptions...' button across from "Warn me when sites try to install add-ons"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Schneider View Post
    BTW: The FF 'Allowed to install' is under Tools, Options, Security Tab, and the first 'Exceptions...' button across from "Warn me when sites try to install add-ons"
    And letting the Firefox add-on install will stick you with the Adobe Download Manager, which should later be removed.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find it easier and simpler to avoid the Adobe Download Manager. To that end, I remove Flash via the Windows Control panel, both the ActiveX version and Firefox/plugin version. Then, I download the manual installers from Adobe and run each with its target browser shut down.

Links to Adobe standalone installers can be found on www.FlashTester.org, along with the link to the Adobe page that reports on the installed version, Can never remember that link. Recent editions of Google Chrome will self-udpate the copy of Flash inside Chrome, assuming its normally installed, the portable version does not self-update.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks again.I ran PSI and when I looked at the patched files Secunia told me there was a problem with Adobe DLM prior to Feb 2010. So I uninstalled the DLM and got rid of the program files and ran the Flash Uninstall prog.Now I have the 2 flash player exe files and the shockwave exe files and will create a registry backup and retire from the fray until tomorrow. Cheers J
    That is key. I run Secunia's scanner from its site - if you subscribe, no cost, you'll get an email every time ANYTHING changes, like a new version of Firefox, new MS patches or an Adobe update. I also have PSI installed and run it memory resident, it will go deeper and is useful in telling me when a program is end of life and their downloadable solutions are on the spot as is their solutions from their website.

With flash, I have found that you must ALWAYS run the uninstall flash program first or you'll never get rid of the previous version in system32\macromedia\flash and you can't manually delete it. I run the installer, reboot and find that folder clean, then install the new version. Putzy but Adobe does not clean up after itself very well so this method will save you plenty of headaches.

Also on Adobe's site, there are special instructions for Firefox users - you didn't say you were using it, but I do, exclusively and use its rendering engine addon to turn a tab into an ie tab if I need to go to Windows Update which Firefox isn't allowed to do - and when you first boot up Firefox after installing a new version of Flash, Firefox will normally have an "updated addon" for you to install as well, automatically. Which I find helpful.

Secunia is one of the most useful websites I've come across and since I went to using PSI as well, it has been easy to keep my machine patched and current. :^) gene

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm trying to clarify the info here cause I've just dealt with this FF and Adobe issue. FF tells me that Shockwave Flash (10.1.82.76) needs to be updated although it's the latest update through FF. If I jump through the hoops and do it, all it does is install the DLManager, and no Flash update. Is the DLM the only reason I'm being told by FF to get the update?

Update - Flash just crashed again.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Horowitz View Post
    I find it easier and simpler to avoid the Adobe Download Manager. To that end, I remove Flash via the Windows Control panel, both the ActiveX version and Firefox/plugin version. Then, I download the manual installers from Adobe and run each with its target browser shut down.

Links to Adobe standalone installers can be found on www.FlashTester.org, along with the link to the Adobe page that reports on the installed version, Can never remember that link. Recent editions of Google Chrome will self-udpate the copy of Flash inside Chrome, assuming its normally installed, the portable version does not self-update.
    You're a lifesaver! I just gave Adobe one last try and used your flashtester link. I finally got the 10.1.85.3 version, first time all day I've been able to find it! And without Adobe DLM!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Annie Love View Post
    You're a lifesaver! I just gave Adobe one last try and used your flashtester link. I finally got the 10.1.85.3 version, first time all day I've been able to find it! And without Adobe DLM!
    In both of my laptop computers, I got Secunia PSI fired up, and it found they both needed various versions of Flash Player updates. The links from Secunia PSI all lead to direct downloads of stand-alone Flash Player installers. No Adobe DLM, and both Firefox and IE Active-X plug-ins got updated from downloaded installers. At the end, all I needed to clean up were the two Flash installers. Chrome was even easier -- it had already updated itself silently for Flash. This newest Flash Player version was issued as a security update within the past week, folks, so test all your computers ASAP, if not sooner.

Now if only Secunia would finish developing PSI 2.0 so that it works with Windows XP SP3 32-bit. On my WinBook laptop, PSI 2.0 cannnot be installed or run.

UPDATE 10/24/2010: I discovered that my WinBook Laptop had become misconfigured, and this was why Secunia PSI 2.0 Beta would not work. I had to completely reinstall all the Windows Networking clients and services. What a disaster! But I am now up and running with PSI 2.0. It does work on Windows XP SP3, if the WorkStation Service is working properly. (Mine was not working properly.)

By the way, Shockwave is a different plug-in from Flash Player. Not many of us have Shockwave, but it maintains entirely different versions and updates.
    -- Bob Primak --