Thread: BUTTON BARS

2 Star Lounger
    Lanyon, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

BUTTON BARS

I had my computer set up with mini icons all along the bottom pop-up bar: word, I.E., excel, games, scanners etc. However - they have all dissapeared for reasons unknown between one use and the next. Further, I can't drag and drop the short cuts down from my wall paper to the to creat the icons as I used to - everytime I try it opens a whole folder on the pop-up bar, or I get the circle with a slash through it
    Thoughts anyone?
    Cheers - Willow Australia.

Thanks

Re: BUTTON BARS

Are you talking about your Quick Launch tool bar?
    Sounds like you've lost it, and are trying to drag shortcuts onto your normal taskbar.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That might be it- how do I get my "quick launch bar" back?

Thanks

Right_mouse on your taskbar
    Select Toolbars
    Check that Quick Launch is selected

Is it?

Microsoft's Tips'n'Tricks <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/usingwindows/internet/tips/advanced/UseQuickLaunch.asp>here</A>.

Thanks

More info here:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q171/2/06.ASP>Q171206</A> How to Customize the Quick Launch Toolbar

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Leif - thanks for the reply mate. It would appear my Quick Launch bar in the problem as it is not ticked. However, when I try and tick it, I get this weird error message - Can not create toolbar for " - (the inverted comma is opened, but nothing appears after it). I have a few dialoge boxes open at the moment so I will try is later when the net isn't running - but any ideas?
    Thanks for you help so far!
    Willow - Australia.

Thanks

Only thing I can find at the moment is
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q273/7/85.ASP?>Q273785</A> Quick Launch Toolbar Icons Are Missing or Unavailable

TweakUI seems at the heart of problems reported with Quick Launch - have you ever installed it?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif (& "Woody's" from a newbie) - got it soughted! The heck trying to fight "Mr G's" microsoft home page, this was a lot easier!
    Cheers!
    Willow

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to appear dense, but what was easier? It may be that some reader with a similar problem might like to know how you solved the problem. Do tell.

Rgds

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Gidday Willow,

I can't help you directly. I don't have Win98 at work or at home.

In my work environment (WinNT), I have a menu set up for me, with all available options.

But I don't have the "Quick Launch toolbar" available to me.

My second best is to have a window which is like the old "windows 3.1" window- which has all the really frequently used stuff. It has applications which are available, but rarely used and not on the main menu- as well as shortcuts to commonly used spreadsheets/docs etc.

In WinNT, the path is "c:winntsystem32profilesusernamestart menuprogramsstartup". With this path, I can copy shortcuts to documents and applications, and they will all appear in the box when I open up windows. It's never more than a click away.

If I close that window, I have a shortcut available to open it up again.

What I do there is to set up a shortcut menu in my startup path. In WinnT

Not nerely as nice as the Quick Launch Toolbar- but at least, I don't have to minimise all windows to open a new application or document.
    Subway Belconnen- home of the Signboard to make you smile. Get (almost) daily updates- follow SubwayBelconnen on Twitter.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As per Leif's instructions;
    Right mouse click on your taskbar
    Select Toolbars
    Check that Quick Launch is selected.
    **The only prob I found was that I had applications open and it didn't work first time. I would do it first thing on start up before you open any applications. Once you have your quick launch bar enabled, you can drag and drop any icons/folders into the quick launch bar from your desktop/my computer etc. If you drag a folder down and create a quick launch button, you can then change it's appearance. Right click on the folder icon - go to properties, change icon. Browse for a new icon rather than the boring old folder picture.
    I use the quick launch buttons with the pop up tool bar as I only have a 15" monitor, and it's excellent for launching applications that may not be available from the "start" bar - It saves you minimising everything to show your desktop or searching through folders in order to launch the application you want.
    Willow