New Lounger
    Thanks
    Bought a new laptop with Windows 7 professional -- spent 3 months with technical support trying to get it configured correctly. Purpose to use this as my desktop replacement and also has a laptop when needed. They finally gave up and are issuing me a new computer.

I have been using Carbonite as a backup and was able to download my data from Carbonite to this new laptop. Of course I had to find all of the applications -- which was pretty painful.

Rather than using Carbonite again, since it only backs up data, I am wondering whether there is a way to backup the computer I will be returning to the new computer and preserve the applications I have already installed. Otherwise I think I am looking at hours and hours of work.

Many thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You could use Acronis (http://www.acronis.com) to image your current laptop and transfer that image to your new laptop. But I would not recommend it - you might be transferring all of your current laptop's problems to the new laptop (which will happen if the problem is software related). My recommendation is to spend the time to do the installs, and copy the data over separately.

Thanks
    You could use Acronis to image your current system and try a restore to your new machine, but if your new machine is not the same model, with the same hardware, there will be problems. And then there is the scenario Peter describes to consider as any software problems on your current machine will be transferred to the new one as well.

A complete fresh install of Windows 7 and all applications and settings is likely to be required to achieve stability, but you can give the other a try if you have the time. In any case, Acronis will come in handy for a regular backup routine.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If your sure your old problems were not software related you could use windows 7 built in image backup which is better than some say and is much easier to use than Acronis or Macrium. It will image all your data and installed programs. As long as the new hard drive is at least as big as the old one or larger should be no problem, Will not restore if new hard disc is smaller.
    But as others have said you need to be absolutely sure there are no software problems with your old laptop first, otherwise it would be best to do a complete clean install.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Curiousclive View Post
    It will image all your data and installed programs. As long as the new hard drive is at least as big as the old one or larger should be no problem, Will not restore if new hard disc is smaller.
    Clive, the problem with this approach is it will restore the drivers for the hardware in the old machine on the new machine. This can cause serious problems. You may not even be able to boot the system past a BSOD if the display driver is the wrong one. Be very careful with this approach!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs