Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm thinking about installing iTunes for listening to my music. Guess I just need some change from what I usually use for that. However, I keep reading on the web that for Windows, iTunes is just bad - big time. Basically, it's a big bloatware, ties you to Apple and how the company thinks you should manage your music on your computer , can cause all sorts of problems and etc. The bottom line is that iTunes is to be used only on a Mac and to be avoided on a Windows PC.

Anyone here can confirm this? Or is it just rumors?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I find everything said about it is true. I can't figure out how to edit the data to change genre or recategorize. The program regularly loses music loaded from CD's rather than the iTunes 'store'. It sends me to the 'store' every time I try anything out of the ordinary. Basically, it is unfriendly, difficult to manage, and buggy.

Thanks
    You forgot bloated.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rfe777 View Post
    I'm thinking about installing iTunes for listening to my music. Guess I just need some change from what I usually use for that. However, I keep reading on the web that for Windows, iTunes is just bad - big time. Basically, it's a big bloatware, ties you to Apple and how the company thinks you should manage your music on your computer , can cause all sorts of problems and etc. The bottom line is that iTunes is to be used only on a Mac and to be avoided on a Windows PC.

Anyone here can confirm this? Or is it just rumors?
    If you want something a little different check out Zune software | Zune.net. You do not have to use the Zune store at all.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Media Monkey - free for personal use, but you can buy a version with more burning options. I store most of my songs in FLAC and down convert for the USB key I use in the car.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    I don't use iTunes very often, but because I have an iPod that I occasionally want to update, I do have it installed. Each time the software updates, its behavior seems to change a bit, so it is difficult to know whether my impressions are current. That said, I can't recall any problems losing data, I set it to use MP3 as its "export" format (which is the setting which also controls how music is ripped from CDs), and I disabled it from looking all over the computer to build its own library. It does feel slow in regular use, but not so slow that I want to move all the audio to yet another program.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    A dissenting voice: I use iTunes with no problems on two XP machines.

I don't find it to be bloat any more than Microsoft Office programs. A few points in response to some of the foregoing comments:
    1. The ID3 tag editing capabilities are available by selecting the track or tracks and right clicking them, and selecting Get Info, and I find the editing options to be equal to or better than any standalone tag editor.
    2. At the time Apple abandoned DRM AAC files, they added an option to the same right click menu to convert AAC files to MP3 files so you can use purchased products on a non-Apple device. Which I do so I can carry music on my cell phone.
    3. iTunes has no problem adding non-Apple MP3 files to it's library, so if you get files from another source, that is not a problem. (Most of my library is from files ripped fom CD with EAC, and my first player was the now defunct MMJB.)
    4. I have NEVER encountered a bug in iTunes, though the update installation on the 8 year old XP machine gives some weird messages, it always installs successfully.
    5. I have NEVER seen iTunes lose files from the library.
    6. If you have an Apple device such as an iPod, iPad, or iTouch, it would be self-defeating NOT to use iTunes, because they are designed to work together.

I vastly prefer iTunes to WMP, and I uninstalled WinAMP because it was redundant. I don't know what y'all are complaining about, and I recommend to the original poster, ife777, that you try iTunes, and if you don't like it, you can always uninstall it. It does take a while to learn, but so do many other products.

So what don't I like about iTunes? All I can think of is:
    1. It doesn't synch with non-Apple products (though I haven't checked this since about V7, so maybe that's no longer true).
    2. It doesn't accommodate other codecs such as LAME or FLAC (again, I haven't checked this since about V7, so maybe that's no longer true).
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS