Thanks
    A couple of links to Norton Power Eraser, which is supposed to "Eliminate deeply-embedded and difficult-to-remove crimeware that traditional virus scanning doesn't always detect.."

http://security.symantec.com/nbrt/npe.asp?lcid=2057

http://www.symantec.com/norton/produ...d=power_eraser
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    It's worth repeating its disclaimer:
    "Because the Norton Power Eraser uses aggressive methods to detect these threats, there is a risk that it can select some legitimate programs for removal. You should use this tool very carefully, and only after you have exhausted other options."

I tried it on my XP Pro box, and I think the problem with this program is going to be false positives.

It suggests that I 'fix' the 'bad' remote administration program for our work Exchange server's antispam solution.

It says that two working shortcuts to perfectly OK programs are 'suspicious'.

It objects to five programs (mscorlib.dll, system.drawing.dll, system.windows.forms.dll, system.xml.dll, system.dll) located some way down in C:\Windows\Assembly but when I click on the Locate button it says it can't find them. I have no idea what they do, but I doubt there's anything wrong with them.

The log is nearly 700 KB of XML code relating to 181 drivers and 110 products, but nothing obviously of interest.

Based on this experience, I wouldn't want to unleash this product in its current state on anyone non-techie!
    BATcher

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Based on this experience, I wouldn't want to unleash this product in its current state on anyone non-techie!
    BATcher,
    Hello, and thanks for the heads up i was just about to run this program ... now i think I'll make a backup first ! Regards Fred
    PS: i will post back with my results .... The scan only found this
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Hello, and thanks for the heads up i was just about to run this program ... now i think I'll make a backup first ! Regards
    Making a backup is always a pretty neat idea, but in this case it would be needed only if you asked Norton Power Eraser actually to Fix = delete/quarantine something. Fairly sensibly, it asks you to make the decision...
    BATcher

Thanks
    Fred, Good morning.

It looks as though Norton Power Eraser does not like 7-Zip. Perhaps it got paid off by Win Zip. (That's the best humor I can come up with this early on Sat. morning)

Yea, in looking around some of the posts found in a Google search, it does appear this app may be a little too aggresive. I would think reverting to a known good image, even if it's slightly out of date, may be a better alternative to this app for the average user. After using this app, there may be considerable more to fix than the crimeware. I suppose however if you do not keep a good image then as a last resort this could work. As Batcher says, be careful and choose the items to elliminate with care.
    Cheers, Ted (mug of java, not amber fluid)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy