Thread: Router

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,
    My DSL is through AT&T; not the fastest in the world. I have a '2wire' router through them. My qestion would the speed of transmission likely be increased by switching to a new router? If so, what would you recommend.
    Thanks, Tice

Thanks
    Maybe, the 2Wire modem/routers I've used were great at making the best of a weak signal/long line but only average over a good connection.

I have no idea what the best of the most recent routers is, I expect someone will chip in with some recent data.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My qestion would the speed of transmission likely be increased by switching to a new router?
    I would say unlikely. You could do a speedtest and then attach your computer directly to the modem (eliminating the router) and run the same test. I would recommend several tests over several minutes on both connections to get an idea of what is actually happening with your speed.

(The above test may not be possible if your 2wire is the modem and the router)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This site has a lot of useful info.......
    DSL Reports

They have Tools that can do Speed Test and other Tests and see how other ISP's compare....
    Broadband Tests and Tools

AT&T West Forum

Thanks
    Several other speed test sites are:

Speedtests.net. (i do like this site)

Speakeasy (I have read about this site at various times)

A Google search does show others. As mercyh states test each site several times or to several different cities to get an average speed for download and upload.

I also believe the the ISP would control your speed much more than the rrouter you use. The difference would probably be if your router is N band compliant or not versus B band or G band or whatever. Is the router dual band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)? There is far less crowding (interference from outside sources) on the 5 GHz band. The Wireless Router Guide seems to provide comprehensive info on routers comparisons. Oh sorry, you do not mention if you are using a wired or wireless connection. This link may or may not be appropriate depending on which you have.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy