2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have Windows Pro 7 - 64 with 8G of memory. Recently I was reading an article in Windows Secrets about having the page file to delete when closing down. Since then my computer takes almost 3 minutes to shut off. I tried finding the article to see how to change the settings to undo that delete to see if that is what is causing the slow shutdown. I save all the WS articles, but for some reason, in spite of going through the issues back through July, I cannot find it. I must not have saved that specific file. Could you tell me what issue that was?

Thanks
    I don't recall seeing or reading an article by Windows Secrets involving deleting the pagefile upon shut down.
    Checking/resizing/removing the pagefile;
    go to: Control Panel\System and Security\System, go to advanced system settings on the left. Click on performance, then
    advanced. Under "Virtual Memory", set it to "System managed size". Safest.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are able to use registry edit (regedit.exe) navigate to "HOTKEY_LOCAL _MACHINE\system\Controlset001\Control\Session Manager\Memory management"

In right pane make sure "Clearpagefileatshutdown" is set to "0".

This should stop O/S from taking some time to shut down while clearing the Pagefile.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am attaching a jpg file showing what is found at that location in the registry.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Second item on your list, right click on it and set it to "0" as Curiousclive suggests.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, changing the "1" to a "0" did the trick. Thanks a lot. I appreciate the help.

Ray

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It is nice to have a place where there are so many experts that know where to go in the registry to fix things. I too had this issue, but I used a tweaking program to set the page file to be deleted and immediately noticed the slow shutdown. It was then very easy to un-set the key. All I had to do was reverse the tweak. There are many tweaking programs out there, most of them just tweak registry keys. Having one of these makes it easier to change things and undo them. Here is the one I used, it is small and easy to use. As with all such programs, do not go crazy making changes as it becomes more difficult to remember what you did.
    http://www.wecode.biz/p/tweak-me.html