New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did anyone come across this on NPR? "Tracking The Companies That Track You Online"
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=129298003
    I am using Abine
    http://www.getabine.com/
    Wondered if others had ideas on this?
    Scorpia.

Thanks
    Paul, first a warm welcome to the Lounge. It's always nice to see a new poster with new perspectives.

It does appear that Abine is a password manager similar to Last Pass or KeePass or probably others. I personally use Last Pass. I agree that manually logging into web sites or using your browser to remember your login info is NOT very secure and that a password manager is far superior to that. Most of these sites encrypt your info and allow you to log on from different PCs. It does appear that most of these sites do require an add-on to your browser. I know Last Pass works well with IE 8, FF 3.6.9 and Chrome v6 as I use it on all 3 browsers. It appears Abine is in beta for FF, alpha for IE and not yet ready for Chrome. It may be a fine app, but does appear to still be in development.

I figure that these type of apps (add-ons) are one step in our overall security. We all have to remain very vigilant in protecting ourselves and our data or surfing habits. Thanks for pointing out a possibble new tool in these efforts.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks for the warm welcome. Reminds me of the old Langa List days.

My concerns are not about the password manager capabilities, but rather privacy/security. The Wall Street Journal did an article about companies which install beacons and trackers to gather info, which is then auctioned off.
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...432219064.html
    This growing industry seems to be lightly regulated. I don't even mind that; it's more about 'where to next?'
    Abine identifies and allows one to disable some/all of these trackers. Just wondered if anyone had come up with other solutions? Short of 'text only browsing'.
    Thanks, Paul.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sanders View Post
    Ted, thanks for the warm welcome. Reminds me of the old Langa List days.

I remember those days very fondly I was one of the early paid subscribers and continued until Fred moved to Windows Secrets, then followed him here. Sure glad he did and I did.

I will have to explore Abine more as I get the time. Thanks for the info.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy