New Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter's IBM laptop Z60T needs a larger hard drive. I was going to use ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery v 3.0 to try and move the contents from the old internal drive to a new drive in a USB connected enclosure.

Is that the best way to do it, or should I get a 3rd party imaging program to do it? I tried using Rescue & Recovery's "Create Recovery Media" but I get an error message saying "Create Recovery Media has encountered a problem and needs to close." I've tried it a number of times, after shutting down and also just restarting the computer, without success. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The easiest is to use a cloning program. Plug in the USB enclosure with the new drive, boot from the clone program disk, and clone the entire original drive to the new drive (including the Boot record). I would use the following. (using the copy disk option)

http://www.partition-tool.com/

That tool can then be used to resize or add partitions to the new larger drive so you can utilize all the space.

Thanks
    5 Ways To Clone & Copy Your Hard Drive
    EASEUS Disk Copy (cross platform)
    EASEUS Disk Copy creates sector by sector clones of partitions or hard disks, independent of operating system, file systems or partition scheme. Itís a versatile tool for both the novice and experienced user.

Just like CoolZilla, itís not installed locally, rather the ISO image is burned to a bootable CD or DVD.

The website is probably the best of all tools described here. The information is thorough and very clear, including a very detailed help section that will walk you through every aspect of the program.

Do you clone and copy your hard drive? If so, which program do you use? Can you recommend any particular program to us? Let us know in the comments.
    EASEUS
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    The easiest is to use a cloning program. Plug in the USB enclosure with the new drive, boot from the clone program disk, and clone the entire original drive to the new drive (including the Boot record). I would use the following. (using the copy disk option)

http://www.partition-tool.com/

That tool can then be used to resize or add partitions to the new larger drive so you can utilize all the space.
    Mercyh - thanks for the advice, it looks like a good solution that I never heard of before, and can't beat the price. Thank You.

Bill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Clint - nice to see an article and comments supporting the same company that mercyh recommended. Thank you.

Bill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was going to recommend disk copy, however, if you are going to a larger drive you will need to manipulate the partitions anyway and their partition tool will do both the copy and manipulation so why install two programs?

One caveat. The free partition tool only supports 32bit. If you are running 64bit you will need to purchase the Pro version or use Clint's suggestion and use something else for changing the partitions.....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    I was going to recommend disk copy, however, if you are going to a larger drive you will need to manipulate the partitions anyway and their partition tool will do both the copy and manipulation so why install two programs?

One caveat. The free partition tool only supports 32bit. If you are running 64bit you will need to purchase the Pro version or use Clint's suggestion and use something else for changing the partitions.....

Moving from a 80 GB to a 320 GB and 32bit, so you are on target.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The drive manufacturers provide free software to clone the disks. Head off to the web site of the manufacturer of the replacement drive.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Acronis True Image Home 2011 will also very easily clone your OS on the old HD to the new HD. It's not cheap, but works very well.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy