2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Word 2007 with Vista.

Someone asked me if there is a way to create a footnote with brackets around it such as [1], [2], [3], etc., that would be created automatically when creating the footnote. The first thought I had was to modify the footnote style but was unable to figure out how to do it in Word 2007.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You'd probably need some kind of custom macro to do this - this is probably not achievable directly in Word (with the caveat that I don't have access to Word 2007 at this moment, so can't double-check - there doesn't seem to be any way to do it in Word 2003, and it's not likely that this changed in Word 2007).

Would you need the brackets to appear around the footnote number both in the document text, as well as where the footnote itself appears? - it sounds like a macro to do this would be pretty messy, if it could be done at all.

Modifying the Footnote Reference style won't help, because the footnote number is not a property of the style - the footnote numbers are generated internally by Word's footnoting function.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi vgarrim,

You could create the document in the normal way and, when you're done creating the footnotes, use a Find/Replace, with:
    Find = the 'Footnote Reference' Style
    Replace = (^&)
    This will put the brackets around the footnote numbers in both the body of the document and the footnotes themselves.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Paul,

Thanks - very cool. I should know better than to say "can't be done" around here!

Gary

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by macropod View Post
    You could create the document in the normal way and, when you're done creating the footnotes, use a Find/Replace, with:
    Find = the 'Footnote Reference' Style
    Replace = (^&)
    This will put the brackets around the footnote numbers in both the body of the document and the footnotes themselves.
    Very, very cool. When tried this I found I also needed to be in Print Layout view. If I tried this in Draft, Find saw the Footnote Reference style in the document, but not in the footnotes.

A very neat solution, Paul!

Best, Kim

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I knew that if I was going to find an answer it would be here. Again, thank you.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmurdock View Post
    When tried this I found I also needed to be in Print Layout view. If I tried this in Draft, Find saw the Footnote Reference style in the document, but not in the footnotes.
    Best, Kim
    Interesting observation. I always work in Print Layout view, so it hadn't occurred to me that it might not work in other views.

Note: although my post indicates the use of parentheses (ie '()'), you could replace those with whatever other characters/strings you prefer.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]