Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 on an HP AMD Phenom 8450 triple Core desktop which is connected to a personal network with 2 other computers using Windows Home.

When I delete items on the HP they appear in my Recycle Bin for a while (30 mins to 3/4 hours) and then disappear.

My main Disk is partitioned into C & D and I have two external disks (one semi-permanent in HP internal compartment). The HP internal comes on when the computer boots up the other when needed. .Both external disks are also partitioned into two. I have had this configuration for several years without problem.

My recycle bin was previously set at "use one setting for all drives" but since the problem I have set the the drives independently but this has made no difference to the problem.

The only software of note that I have added recently was Norton Utilities which I have since uninstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    How did you uninstall Norton Utilities? If you just used Add/Remove programs, I'm sure their is plenty of leftover junk. Norton has a removal tool to assist with their software removal because the normal uninstaller is terrible. I would also try a tool such as Revo uninstaller or Absolute Uninstaller to safely and completely uninstall Norton. These uninstallers use the apps own uninstaller first, then look for and remove leftover junk. You may be forced to first reinstall the app in order to remove it completely.

I would guess that Norton was the culprit in your case.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the suggestion. However I would like to use the Norton uninstal tool only as a last resort. I have used it in the past & because of the number of "Norton" programs that I am using it created its own problems by uninstalling certain components of the other programs. I will try the 2 uninstal programs you mentioned and hope this will solve the problem

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have since tried the uninstal programs that you suggested & unfortunately the problem persists.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sportyjoe View Post
    I have since tried the uninstall programs that you suggested & unfortunately the problem persists.

That statement has been repeated thousands of times, over the net and around the world, on countless forums.
    It prompts many users to just reformat their hard drive and do a Clean Install of their OS and
    software, to get rid of Norton.
    I personally have a better solution to all the Norton problems....."Never Install Norton (anything) in the first place".

Unfortunately, even the Norton Removal Tool can leave things behind.
    After using it on a customer's PC, I still do a manual check for files, folders and registry entries that may be left behind.

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would run CCleaner, it is very reliable, freee and cleans out a lot of junk from your computer. Might help resolve your problem.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I reinstalled my XP to correct the same problem.
    I found this answer today. I haven't tried it but it sounds logical.

If increasing the size doesn't do it:

Boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
    Change the attrib of the recycler (attrib -s -h recycler)
    delete the recycler (del recycler)

reboot and Windows will create a new recycle bin
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft® Security MVP, 2004 - 2009

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Boot in Safe Mode with Command Prompt.
    Change the attrib of the recycler (attrib -s -h recycler)
    delete the recycler (del recycler)

Hi Gerald;
    Tried this and waited for about 36 hours (the items often remain in the Recycle Bin for several hours) & unfortunately the error persists.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 on an HP AMD Phenom 8450 triple Core desktop which is connected to a personal network with 2 other computers using Windows Home.

When I delete items on the HP they appear in my Recycle Bin for a while (30 mins to 3/4 hours) and then disappear.

My main Disk is partitioned into C & D and I have two external disks (one semi-permanent in HP internal compartment). The HP internal comes on when the computer boots up the other when needed. .Both external disks are also partitioned into two. I have had this configuration for several years without problem.

My recycle bin was previously set at "use one setting for all drives" but since the problem I have set the the drives independently but this has made no difference to the problem.

The only software of note that I have added recently was Norton Utilities which I have since uninstalled.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    what is the maximum size of your recycle bin? can you do a belarc audit on your pc and post i here? thanks

Thanks
    Norton Utilities used to come with a Recycle Bin replacement called Protected Recycle Bin. Try:
    - Purge files from the Norton Protected Recycle Bin and disable it

If there are files in the Recycle Bin that you want to recover, then do so now; otherwise, proceed with the following steps.

1. Right-click the Recycle Bin, and then click Properties. The Recycle Bin Properties window opens.
    2. Click the Recycle Bin tab and verify that the text in the Title field is "Recycle Bin." If not, then change the text to "Recycle Bin."
    3. Click the Norton Protection tab, and then click "Remove Norton Protection." The Remove Norton Protection window opens.
    4. Check "Also Empty Protected Files."
    5. Click OK to close the Remove Norton Protection window, click Apply, and then OK to close the Recycle Bin Properties window.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    what is the maximum size of your recycle bin? can you do a belarc audit on your pc and post i here? thanks
    Not sure what a belarc audit is. I seem to recall a piece of software by that name. Am I correct?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Click the link for FREE Belarc Advisor ....
    Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RM Gursahaney View Post
    I would run CCleaner, it is very reliable, freee and cleans out a lot of junk from your computer. Might help resolve your problem.
    Thanks RM but no success with CC Cleaner

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From your pics....it looks like you still have "use one setting for all drives"

[attachment=90081:Snap1 A.jpg]

All drives have the same 3.99 GB Space Reserved. The 3.99 GB max. is what Microsoft decided is big enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post
    From your pics....it looks like you still have "use one setting for all drives"

[attachment=90081:Snap1 A.jpg]

All drives have the same 3.99 GB Space Reserved. The 3.99 GB max. is what Microsoft decided is big enough.
    xxxxxxxxx

Agreed. I reverted to one setting for all drives since setting the drives independently made no difference to the size of the bin or the problem that exist. As you mentioned Microsoft determined that I required a maximum of 3.99 GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast