Thread: SATA Drivers?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got an HP d4100e computer with an A8AE-LE (Amberine) motherboard (made by ASUS, but not listed on their site). The computer has a SATA hard drive.
    I'm planning to re-install Windows XP Pro SP2 (clean install), and I'll need SATA drivers for the installation (XP doesn't have them). I know they must already be on my system, but I don't know where to find them.
    Can you help, or tell me where I can download them?
    Also, out of curiosity, does XP with Service Pack 3 include SATA drivers?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    A8AE-LE (Amberine) motherboard
    Serial ATA
    •2 SATA connectors
    •Each connector supports 1 serial ATA-150 disk drive
    You should stick with what your controller is capable of, which is serial ATA-150.
    Keep this in mind when replacing your HD. You should not need separate drivers for this
    unless you plan to install RAID. Check your bios for proper hard drive settings.

Is this your Motherboard?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Clint.
    Yes, that's my motherboard.
    I need some clarification of what you said.
    If my MB has a SATA-150 controller, are you saying that a more modern SATA HD (I don't know what the latest capabilities are) is not backwards compatible with my controller? If so, I'm concerned that I might not be able to find a compatible replacement drive when the time comes (I'm not planning to replace the drive in the near future).
    Also, it appears that you're saying that there are no SATA drivers needed to support SATA on this motherboard, i.e., that a clean install of Win XP Pro SP2 will recognize and install to my hard drive without pressing F6 during installation and providing drivers on a floppy. Is this what you mean to say? I was under the impression that Windows XP has no intrinsic SATA support. I'd hate to start a clean install and not have drivers handy if required.
    Also, what did you have in mind when you provided the link to the BIOS hard drive settings? I'm not sure what specifically I should be looking for. My settings appear to be correct, as I have not had any issues accessing my drive.
    Thanks for your reply.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The HP web site will have the SATA drivers - XP SP3 won't.
    You should have a recovery disk with which you can re-load Windows. It will contain the drivers so you won't need to muck about.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    The drivers you need for your SATA controller will be part of your specific motherboard's chipset driver download from HP.
    From the looks of the site, you may have to dig for it.

I thought you were replacing a drive and were wanting drivers for a "new" drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    PT, I'm not interested in using the HP recovery disks - they are only SP2, and, for some unknown reason, I'm not able to upgrade my system to SP3 (please refer to my post "XP Upgrade Issues" in the Operating systems and software forum, which thus far has no replies). Therefore, I will probably (not sure yet if it's worth it) attempt a clean install of XP Pro with SP3 (assuming I can purchase an installation CD).
    Hemce my need for the SATA drivers. Rather than slog through the HP site (I've tried that), shouldn't I be able to find the drivers on my hard drive? If they're on ther, I can't recognize them.

Clint, even if the drivers are part of the motherboard's chipset, they'll be erased during the new installation, so I'll still need them on a floppy so that XP can find them.
    Also, I'd still like an nswer (if you have one) for my other question:
    "If my MB has a SATA-150 controller, are you saying that a more modern SATA HD (I don't know what the latest capabilities are) is not backwards compatible with my controller? If so, I'm concerned that I might not be able to find a compatible replacement drive when the time comes (I'm not planning to replace the drive in the near future)."

Thank you both for responding.

Thanks
    A SATA 3Gb/s harddrive will work just fine, but you will not be getting it's bandwidth speed as your
    built in hardware hard drive controler will still be limited to SATA 1.5 Gbit/s.
    You may also encounter issues with chipset drivers not supporting newer hardware in the future on your motherboard, especially an older board like the one you have now.
    Older hardware will become harder to find in the future, like PATA/IDE, maybe even SATA 1.5 Gbit/s.

I would download and store all your motherboard's needed drivers on CD or DVD disks for all your future reinstall needs.
    The HP site is confusing and quite often difficult to find stuff. Take alook at this, the chipset drivers your looking
    for may be located under "Original Drivers"...
    [the photo is just an example, you need to input your exact make and model of computer]
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Feinstein View Post
    for some unknown reason, I'm not able to upgrade my system to SP3 (please refer to my post "XP Upgrade Issues" in the Operating systems and software forum, which thus far has no replies).
    Just curious - Where is this post?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Clint.
    I did locate the ATI chipset drivers under Original Drivers. However, it downloads as an executable file that self-installs the chipset drivers when executed, and I don't think the Windows installation disk will be able to recognize the SATA drivers in this file.

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Les -
    This may help with SP3 issues ....
    About Windows XP Service Pack 3

[attachment=89968:HP d4100e Win XP SP3 info.jpg]
    Click the above pic to make it larger.

In case you need it in the future, here is the link suggested by Clint for your drivers
    Summer 2005 Original ATI Chipset Drivers

Here are directions for driver...
    Directions for "Download" option Summer 2005 Original ATI Chipset Drivers

[attachment=89969river instructions.jpg]
    Troubleshooting help

Good Luck

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Tim.
    Sorry, I think I'm suffering from forum overload. The post I mentioned above is actually in the HP Consumer Support Forum. It's fairly long, but since you actually have to sign in to that forum to see it, I'll include it here. Hopefully, the denizens of this forum will be more responsive (although my original thinking was that it's an HP issue, which is why I posted there).

Start of copied post:

"Hi. Long story, please be patient.
    I have an HP d4100e computer (AMD chip) running Win XP Pro SP2. The system has gotten a little sluggish over time (several years), so I did a “repair” using Fred Langa’s instructions (at this site): http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=189500364
    Everything worked exactly as advertised, and with a couple of minor tweaks, my system was up and running like new.
    I then went to Windows Update to “modernize” the system (I hadn’t done any updates previously). There were two critical updates that needed to be done immediately and separately (according to the Window Update site); it recommended installing .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, and Windows XP SP3.

I decided to install the .NET Framework update first (I already have .NET Framework 1.1, 2.0 Service Pack 1, 3.0 Service Pack 1, and 3.5 installed on my computer). When I attempted the installation from Windows Update, the installation started OK, then ended with an error message saying that the update was not installed. I tried again with the same result. Then I downloaded the update from another site onto my desktop, and attempted to install it from there, with the same results. I did some research, and it was suggested that I remove all of the previous .NET Framework installations, then re-install them and retry the update. I did that (using the Add/Remove Programs app in the control panel, and then again using the dotnetfx cleanup tool) with the same results.

First question: What do I need to do to get .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 to install on my computer?

After hours of trying to install this with no success, I decided to try the SP3 update next.
    But first, I needed to install the SP3 AMD continuous re-boot patch. I decided to use the Microsoft patch, KB953356. but when I attempted to install the patch, I got the following message:

“KB953356 Setup Error. Setup could not verify the integrity of the file Update.inf. Make sure the Cryptographic service is running on this computer”

I verified that the Cryptographic service is running.

Second question: How do I fix the problem (or better yet, what is the problem?) so that I can install this patch?

Then I tried the HP patch (SP37394) to resolve the SP3 re-boot issue prior to attempting the SP3 installation. I got the following message:

“Microsoft Windows XP SP3 Upgrade Utility for systems with AMD processors. Your system does not meet the minimum requirements for this update. Update has been cancelled (9998).”

Third question: What’s going on??? My machine has a 160GB hard drive (only 19 GB being used), with 3GB of RAM, and a GeForce 6600 graphics card with 256MB of dedicated RAM. Win XP Pro SP2 zips on this machine.

Obviously, I have not attempted the SP3 upgrade yet.

Please help!"

End of copied post.

My preference would be to just use Windows Update to install XP3, but since I have had no help yet in fixing the above problems, I'm contemplating a clean install of XP Pro with SP3, which has spawned this thread.

Concerning your instructions for obtaining and installing SP3, the above post addresses that: I cannot install the required AMD patch, whether I get it from Microsoft or HP, and thus will not attempt to install SP3. But thank you for taking the trouble to provide the information.

As far as your instructions for locating the SATA drivers, I believe you are correct that they are in the C:\HP\Drivers folder, but NOT in the Chipset sub folder. I think, instead, that they are in the sub folder labeled Promise_FT_TX2300_B1_1_00_0030_39. The files in that folder appear to be SATA drivers (just guessing, from their names). I never knew this motherboard had a Promise controller, so I never thought to look for them under that name.

Sorry to all that I copied that long post here, but perhaps some good will come of it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Les - Does this apply to your situation?

Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error 0x0000007E

Please note the part about "Disable Intel Power Management" in Safe Mode, before installing HP patch (SP37394).

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Tim.
    Nope, not applicable, as I have not yet installed SP3. I was trying to address the re-boot problem before the SP3 installation, by installing the Microsoft patch for this issue. Failing that, I tried to install the HP patch (probably developed in conjunction with Microsoft). That installation also failed, as described above. I certainly won't attempt an SP3 installation until one of those patches installs cleanly. I attempted an SP3 installation prior to the repair I described above, with disastrous results (blue-screened when I attempted to boot, and really messed up my OS). Until I can identify and fix the issues I described, I ave no intention of atempting another SP3 install.
    I should note that I believe this is a problem with my HP machine, because I attempted the same installations described above on my Dell laptop, with no problems.
    Thanks for trying.