New Lounger
    Thanks
    When I double click on an embedded graph (from Excel) in a Word 2003 document sent to me, I get "Microsoft Word cannot start the application required to open this object. An error occurred and this feature is no longer functioning properly. Would you like to repair this feature now?"

When I answer "yes", I get a repair dialogue box which does its thing and tells me I must re-boot, but when I double click the chart again, I get the same message. It appears that Word doesn't think that Excel 2003 is installed.

This is probably the result of my having installed Office 2007 on the same machine recently (which I did because an estate planning program I use needs Excel 2007 to run, not Excel 2003). I have tried re-installing Office 2007 and opening the document in Word 2007 and double clicking that same graph, but it produces the same error message (and the repair attempt yields the same failed result).

HELP!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The explanation for the problem you're getting sounds reasonable. It might be hard to find someone with the same setup, to try reproducing the problem.

Do you have the option of creating the Word document again, this time as a Word 2007 document, and embedding the Excel 2007 graph into it again?

Gary

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi olsenfin,

Have you tried repairing via Word Options|Resources|Diagnose, or doing a repair via the Windows Control Panel?
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]