New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I boot up my XP machine only the clock shows in the system tray. The only way I can get the ICONS for the rest of my running apps, e.g. anti-virus and firewall, to show is to restart windows. This has been a problem for a while, I just put up with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Hi Don, and welcome to the Lounge!

This has been a common problem with XP apparently forever. To my knowledge, MS has never fixed it, but another lounger may know of an MS fix.

Check here for a quick fix. I would consider it a temporary fix in that it does not address the root of the problem, but it will make things less frustrating for you while looking for a permanent fix. There is a small batch file that can be downloaded that stops the explorer service and then restarts it. This should bring your icons back. Faster than a reboot anyway. You can save this file to your desktop and click it when your icons are not visible.

Try this fix recommended by the ElderGeek.

Here is a WS thread from 2007 about the same topic with XP SP2.

Many have found Startup Delayer a big help in fixing this problem in XP. You can set some delay in the software that loads at startup to allow more time for explorer to build the system tray.

Another good thing to look at is Autoruns for Windows from Microsoft. You can run this program to disable any unnecessary software from starting at boot. This eliminates some competition between programs starting at boot, and can reduce resource usage on your computer. The Logon tab is the place to start.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Don - You might want to check your icon Settings by Right clicking the Task Bar.

Should be able to see the two screens below. Click on each icon to make your choice.

[attachment=89965:Show icons.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images