New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

My son is going off to college (no tears, no tears . . .) and he'll be living in an off-campus student housing building.

His room (and all the others) has an ethernet connection built-in. I wanted to be able to set him up wirelessly, though. Obviously there's a modem and router/switch somewhere in the building with his room being one of the endpoints for the building's router/switch/hub. But for his room what are his (well . . .mine) options for setting his room up as "wireless" using the existing ethernet connection in his room? Can a wireless router be hooked-up in his room to the existing ethernet outlet essentially daisy-chaining two routers together? What about a wireless access point? Either? Neither?

Thanks in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would use a router as long as he does not have to make any "special" connections that running double NAT would break. This would put a hardware firewall between him and the rest of the building. As he does not need to cover a large area with his hotspot and there is a good chance of a lot of other wireless access points running in this building, I would go for 5ghz to get away from the high probability of major interference. You need to make sure his laptop supports 5ghz before you purchase a 5ghz device for the router.

If you do run into an issue with double NAT (running behind two routers). you can just plug the wall access point into one of the LAN ports on the router, turn off the DHCP server and it becomes a simple access point.

You need to run the highest encryption possible on this wireless connection (WPA2) as I would consider this a high risk area for hacking...

Thanks
    You might want to contact the school's IT department for their advice. Who knows, they may have some deals on hardware as well.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mercyh View Post
    I would use a router as long as he does not have to make any "special" connections that running double NAT would break. This would put a hardware firewall between him and the rest of the building. As he does not need to cover a large area with his hotspot and there is a good chance of a lot of other wireless access points running in this building, I would go for 5ghz to get away from the high probability of major interference. You need to make sure his laptop supports 5ghz before you purchase a 5ghz device for the router.

If you do run into an issue with double NAT (running behind two routers). you can just plug the wall access point into one of the LAN ports on the router, turn off the DHCP server and it becomes a simple access point.

You need to run the highest encryption possible on this wireless connection (WPA2) as I would consider this a high risk area for hacking...
    I've searched a bit more on the internet and the sites I've come across mention using a "crossover" cat-5 as the connection from the wireless router (to be used as the room's access point) to the ethernet outlet in the room (and therefore, to the building's router/switch). Do you agree? Would I need one of the "crossover" cat-5's as the hard connection from the wireless router to the wall outlet?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Most likely not but they are readily available if you need one. Most modern switches recognize the state of the connection and automatically do the crossover setting themselves if needed,