New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a Dell 8200 Dimension with XP Home Service Pack 3. I have the OEM disks to re-install all of the original drivers, OS, etc.. However, I am unable to do so because of the newer version of XP, (Service Pack 3). I wish to do so because a good chunk of the OS is missing; (no Accessories, for example, as well as a number of other components.) I am unable to replace missing Windows components.
    I tried to access Setup and Bios to wither boot off the CD/DVD drive, or partition and reformat, but I am unable to do so. I press F2 & F12 until the cows come home, and nothing. While I could access the Setup, to change the boot order so I could boot off the CD/DVD drive, it refused to let me save and exit. So I am unable to boot off the CD/DVD drive.
    I am completely unable to access Bios so as to partition or reformat, and thereby erase the contents of the drive, and then reload XP.
    I have done a deep scan of the whole system with several utilities, with no evidence of any viruses, spyware, etc..
    I have the original 40G hard drive, and a second 500G internal drive.
    Should I try to reverse the positions of the drives and reload XP on the second drive? Or does anyone have any other ideas on how I could get this done. I have the disks to reload other software.
    I will really appreciate any help anyone could give me. Thanks very much in advance.
    Ron

Thanks
    Ron, Welcome to the Lounge. It's always nice to get new perspectives from new members.

I would attempt to remove the CMos battery on the motherboard. Open the case. You will see what appears to be a watch battery. Remove it. This should reset settings to default. As long as you have the battery out, replace it. There should be a number on the battery to purchase a replacement. These batteries only cost a couple of bucks.

It appears that changing the boot order is the answer. You can leave the CD/DVD in the first place unless you routinely leave CDs or DVDs in the player. If your system does not see any optical media it will continue to the next item in order, which should be the HD.

Formating the HD is the way to go to reinstall the OS from your installation media to elliminate any problems that have developed over the years. You should be able to leave both hard drives in place and install the OS to the smaller HD (I believe this is your intention is it not)

Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Ron, and I join Ted in welcoming you to the Lounge.

From your posting it seems you were wanting to do a repair install, or a reinstall of the OS over your current SP3 install. If your OEM OS disk is XP SP2, the only possible choice is to do a completely new clean install, and then reinstall a fresh copy of SP3.

When you do get XP SP3 freshly installed, I would use the newest drivers for the hardware rather than the ones that originally came with your Dell. Updated drivers will be safer and more compatible with your new install.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Ronald, during start up, you should be able to see correct key to press to enter 'set up'. If not, tapping 'delete' key during start up, works on some systems. I have never used 'Dell'.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    On similar lines to where Ted is going, I'd look into restoring or updating the BIOS.
    Look over the documentation on Dell's website for your specific BIOS jumper settings and
    or reseat the CMOS bat as well.

Once you get your BIOS issues sorted out then you could precede to reinstall the os on it's original drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Here is a Dell support (including BIOS updates) site for that system....
    Drivers & Downloads for Dimension 8200
    You can enter your Service Tag to get updates for your system.

Be sure to read driver install order.....
    Driver Install order

Thanks
    If you do want to repair install, or a reinstall of the OS over your current SP3 install, you can slipstream SP3 into your current install media. See:
    Slipstream XP SP3

Its probably a good idea to have a SP3 install disk in any event. You might need it to replace corrupted system files after doing an sfc /scannow operation

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks guys. I'll try these suggestions.