New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two windows systems connected to a switch on the same network. Both connect to the same router.

One system can access the internet fine.

The second system can Ping an address (4.2.2.2) and a web site (www.rof.net). Neither website/address is associated with my service provider (Comcast). However, IE and Firefox can not connect to any web site. Yesterday was Patch Tuesday and the Microsoft update was on this machine ready to install. Other update systems fail to connect to their servers.

I turned off the Microsoft firewall and both IE and Firefox still could not connect to a web site.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Do Firefox or IE give any errors when you try to load a web site. You might want to try Open DNS (http://www.opendns.com/) and see if that helps although a successful ping seems to rule out DNS. You might also want to see if you have a proxy server enabled. Go to Control Panel/Internet options/Connections tab. Click on the LAN settings tab and see if the proxy server box is checked. If it is, try clearing it. If its not, try checking automatically detect settings on the same page and see if that helps. If it doesn't help, go back and uncheck automatically detect settings as it may slow down your internet access slightly.

Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carpenter View Post
    I have two windows systems connected to a switch on the same network. Both connect to the same router.

Any ideas?
    Connect the computer you are having trouble with directly to the router.Instead of using a switch.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have tried connecting via a wirless router with the same problem.

I specified the switch connection in the problem description to demonstrate that the problem was almost certainly within the computer not the network.

Does any tool exist that does a "trace route" through the IP stack?

How can I verify that port 80 is open on this computer?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ping www.rof.net should use port 80.

If this is XP, right click on the IE icon in the start menu and choose "Browse without Addons".

If that doesn't fix it, go to Tools-Internet Options click the Connections tab and go to LAN settings. Be sure all the boxes are not checked, say OK and then restart Internet Explorer. (Ahhh, I see Jerry is on this same track above. I have to learn to read threads completely before posting.... )

Let us know if you get any results with this...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The system is Vista which allows the "no add ons" option. Problem persists.