New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been receiving returned emails that I have not sent out from a place in France either as smtp2e.orange.fr or me-wanadoo.net. They are using my email address for emails they are sending out either as USAA Bank or Mastercard. If I block the "originating IP" will this prevent me from receiving these? Is there any other solution to this problem?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you have run various scans on your systems and are sure it is not infected that is about all you can do. It is more likely that someone who has you email address has been compromised and some "bad guy" has harvested their address book. An email address is trivial to forge. You should just delete the returned emails. It is a frustrating distraction but not a lot you can do. You can try blocking the IP but these types of spammers change IP addresses frequently.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Give it a couple weeks if you haven't already, usually the spammers rotate through email addresses and move on in that time. If they don't or its been like a month already then I don't know about blocking the originating IP but there will be keys in the message to form a rule for. Just don't do anything to let them know there's a "live" one on the other end like trying to unsubscribe or, bounce the email in return because that won't accomplish anything.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Camera View Post
    I have been receiving returned emails that I have not sent out from a place in France either as smtp2e.orange.fr or me-wanadoo.net.
    In addition to regular bounces from spammers who forge the sender's address, there are fake bounce messages designed to trick you into opening malware attachments. As much as I depend on email, the entire system really is quite broken...

Thanks
    Richard, I strongly suggest changing your password. ASAP
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!