Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, all. I'm running Vista Premium and am having a problem with my two external USB hard drives, which are connected through a USB hub. If I disconnect the cable between the laptop and the hub and then reconnect it, the drives don't always reappear. (Sometimes they do, but usually they don't.) I hear the tones indicating that USB devices are being connected, but the drives never appear. The only way I can get them to mount is to reboot the computer.

I've replaced the hub and cable and try plugging into different ports on the laptop, but nothing helps.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hubs seem to the root of a lot of USB issues.

I have found that a lot of devices will not always be found when using them.
    I have gotten to the point of NOT using them any more.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Mark, are your 2 ext hdd's electricily or usb powered? If electric, mark one end with a piece of white sticky paper near the end and use the front USB port on your PC. Just remember to connect before powering ON and powering Off before removing using safe method.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The HDDs are electrically powered. What should I mark with sticky paper? I wasn't clear about that.

The other thing that happens, which I didn't mention in my original post, relates to the Canon imageCLASS D340 printer that's also attached via the hub. The laptop recognizes it even when the HDDs aren't recognized. However, a new print driver gets installed each time.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Mark, are your 2 ext hdd's electricily or usb powered? If electric, mark one end with a piece of white sticky paper near the end and use the front USB port on your PC. Just remember to connect before powering ON and powering Off before removing using safe method.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Is this HUB a externally powered, these seem to have fewer poplems than the unpowered ones do?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, it's externally powered (as was the one it replaced).

Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Is this HUB a externally powered, these seem to have fewer poplems than the unpowered ones do?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
    What should I mark with sticky paper? I wasn't clear about that.
    The USB end of one of your ext. hdd's so you know which one your using in front USB of your PC instead of the hub.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The USB end of one of your ext. hdd's so you know which one your using in front USB of your PC instead of the hub.
    Got it. When I disconnected and reconnected USB hub and the HDDs didn't appear (in the Computer window), I plugged one HDD directly into one of the laptop's USB ports.Windows installed the device and displayed the Driver Software Installation dialog, which said that my USB Mass Storage Device was ready to use. However, the HDD still doesn't show up in the Computer window.

So it sounds like I've eliminated the hub as the problem, but I still don't have a solution.

Thanks for any additional suggestions :-)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you have drive letters hidden? See Drive - Hide or Unhide - Vista Forums.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Do you have drive letters hidden? See Drive - Hide or Unhide - Vista Forums.

Joe
    No. "Not configured" shows up there. Also, the drives do appear sometimes when I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable. In my tests this week, it seems like they appear the first time I disconnect/reconnect but not subsequently.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ray View Post
    Got it. When I disconnected and reconnected USB hub and the HDDs didn't appear (in the Computer window), I plugged one HDD directly into one of the laptop's USB ports.Windows installed the device and displayed the Driver Software Installation dialog, which said that my USB Mass Storage Device was ready to use. However, the HDD still doesn't show up in the Computer window.

So it sounds like I've eliminated the hub as the problem, but I still don't have a solution.

Thanks for any additional suggestions :-)
    Can you post an image of computer window ? with one of your hdd's connected.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you post an image of computer window ? with one of your hdd's connected.
    Sure thing. Here is the Computer window. The H and I drives are the ones that don't always come back when I disconnect/reconnect.

BTW, I downloaded USBDeview, which I read about in the lounge. It shows 35 USB Mass Storage Devices. I'm going to try to find the instructions I read before and delete a bunch of those.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So I deleted all the USB Mass Storage Devices in USBDeview (including the two external HDDs). I thought that would do the trick, but after I'd disconnected/reconnected a couple of times, I ran into the same problem. I got popups in the task bar saying the devices had been installed, but they never appeared.

Thanks
    Mark, everything looks OK with one possible exception. C:drive has very little free space, is it possible, to move some of your files somewhere else. You also could compress it ,though I've never done it so the choice is yours.

[attachment=90019:1.JPG]

Thanks
    Hi Mark,

I agree with Roderunner. You have a serious lack of free space on your C:\ drive. There should be at least 13GB (15% of your drive or partition size) of free space for Windows to run stable and smooth.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast