Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having a problem. I have two DVD's that will play on my SONY DVD player on my TV. However, they will not play or copy on my computer. How can I convert the DVD (s) to a format that will record and copy on my computer?

Thanas a lot!

Charles H. Parker

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Are they copy protected?
    See:
    Has HDTV Code Been Cracked?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You say two that don't play, what about more? So far from what you describe it indicates that there is a problem with the DVD drive. You won't be able to convert the DVD to any other format without getting it off the DVD so you're in a bit of a Catch-22 there. If they are copy-protected there are some DVDs that will, or at least have in the past, inject some software onto your system that disables any attempts to copy them.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Not sure if copy protected or not. I have a decrypter, and used it to no avail. They play fine on my DVD player, but when I try to copy them they just sit there without copying at all. Thought maybe I needed some sort of software to change the format or something like that.

Charles H. Parker

Thanks
    This software will copy ANY DVD you have;DVDFab I've been using this program for years now.
    Also I would like to suggest a media player so when you do put in a dvd it will play.Here's the link;VLC Media player
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Decrypters are fairly fickle. I have one that handles most of my DVDs OK, but I have a handful of DVDs that the decrypter will not handle. But I found another decrypter that so far has worked fine for those DVDs.

By the way, you do not need to decrypt and copy the DVD to view it on your PC. Media Player, Media Center and VLC should be able to play the movie from the DVD drive, assuming that the DVD drive is not broke...

Thanks
    Mike1111, Try This
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Lounger
    Thanks
    When I want to make a copy of a DVD for the family to view in order to avoid damage to the original I use DVDDecrypter available at http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/ . I set the properties for DVDDecrypter to run in administrative mode (Vista).

If DVDDecrypter has error reading the DVD, RipItMe can determine a block copy list and automatically import it into DVDDecrypter. http://ripit4me.en.softonic.com/ .

Note that these program should only be used for personal backup copies. It is illegal to sell or give copies to others. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_Decrypter .

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Note that these program should only be used for personal backup copies.
    Strictly speaking that's true (in the US), that one copy can be made for backup in case the original is destroyed somehow, but, it is illegal to break the encryption, so before you even get to the point of backing it up, one is agin the law.

So what's the old saying? In for a shilling, in for a pound? Cool to see DVDDecrypter is still available for download after all this time; I've carefully safegarded my copy for years and years