4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have a 64 bit laptop running Windows 7 Professional (upgraded from Windows 7 Premium). I was told that when I upgraded from Windows 7 Premium to Windows 7 Professional, that upon booting up, I would be able to choose either XP mode or Windows 7 Professional. Well, when I boot up there is no tab allowing me to choose between the two modes. Can I assume that I have an updated version of Windows 7 Professional? Can I copy to a DVD programs on my 32 bit XP diesktop and download and run them on my laptop?

Thank you.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    that upon booting up, I would be able to choose either XP mode or Windows 7 Professional.
    That is not how it works at all. Please check out the following link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...indows-xp-mode

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Can I copy to a DVD programs on my 32 bit XP diesktop and download and run them on my laptop?
    No, you will need to do a fresh install of the XP programs on your Win7 computer. Some of them may run under Windows 7, and those that will not should install and run in XP Mode.

You can check the Windows 7 Compatibility Center for software that is known to run properly in Windows 7, but if you have some software that is not mentioned, it still may run; you would just have to install and give it a shot. If it does not want to install, you could try Compatibility Mode (right click, choose Properties, click Compatibility tab, and make a selection in the drop down box).
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    that upon booting up, I would be able to choose either XP mode or Windows 7 Professional.

Another link from Microsoft that may go into a little more detail on XP Mode.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It's worth the effort as indicated in the links provided by mercyh and Ted ih their posts. I have Windows 7 Professional 64-bit running with XP mode installed. It functions just fine and permits use of any programs you regard as essential that do not run under Windows 7. Go for it!
    (Just remember, your security sofware as installed and set up under Windows 7 will not protect the virtual machine where XP is installed. (I suggest you use Microsoft Security Essentials (download for free) with the Windows Firewall enabled from within XP. This approach to security has been liberally praised elsewhere in the Lounge and also in the latest edition of Windows Secrets)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I want to thank each of you for your help. I will definitely download the virtual machine and Windows XP mode. Also, I will use Microsoft Security Essentials.

Everyone have a very Good one...

Moon

Thanks
    @moon1130: A pleasure. Post back once your new setup is in place and let us know your opinion. Feedback always assists others with their choices. Enjoy!
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.