Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Comodo firewall on my XP system and the "built in" firewall in my Belkin wireless router. Do I need both? If so could someone spare some CPU cycles so the system works properly?

Thanks
    This ancient thread has some general background on why you probably want to use a software firewall even when you are protected from random inbound connections by a router: [topic=407306]Software Firewall: Why use it, Where to get it[/topic].

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It depends on your risk level. The hardware firewall will stop any hacking attempts initiated from the OUTSIDE. It can't stop things that are initiated from INSIDE of your LAN. If your machine gets some infection that "phones home" the hardware firewall will happily let it through. If another machine inside your network gets infected the hardware firewall will also not keep it from getting to your machine, however, most software firewalls by default will not stop this other machine either.

My opinion which is not shared by many on this forum.... Is that a hardware firewall together with Windows firewall from XP SP3 forward and an updated AV package is sufficient...

Window Secrets own recommendations...

http://www.windowssecrets.com/review...rity-baseline/

Thanks
    Hi T Hodge,

I you haven't already done so, check out this thread in this same forum that contains a lengthy discussion merits of using both software and hardware firewalls.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Use both the hardware and software firewall. You will be better protected. As stated the hardware firewall protects against inbound atteacks, the software firewall can protect against 2 way actions.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy