New Lounger
    Thanks
    For the last 2 months or so I have been experiencing problems opening all my email attachments in Windows Live Mail, be they in Word, Excell, PowerPoint, PDF. However if I save those attachments to a folder, then I can open them from there without any difficulties. These problems did not exist prior to 2 months.

I have a Toshiba Satgellite L350 laptop, with 3 GB RAM, 500GB HDD

I have the following software installed:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Microsoft Office 2010 Professional
    Norton 360 antivirus and a host of other programs.

My laptop is updated with all the Microsoft Updates on a regular basis and I have also checked my laptop for any viruses or other malware using Norton Scan, Trend Micro's House Call.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Live Mail, changed my earlier 230 GB HDD to a 500 GB HDD and have reinstalled the OS, MS Office 2010 etc. but without any success.

Sometimes I am also encountering problems in opening some known websites by clicking on the "click to open" button.

Have checked my Norton 360 firewall configuration and other settings that would give me a clue but am unable to find anything that I could change to overcome my difficulties.

I would be grateful for any help received

Joseph Rodrigues

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    We need a little more info before we can advise.
    What message, if any, do you get when attempting to open attachments?
    Same for web sites?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    While trying to open any attachment in Windows Live Mail the program just freezes.

The error message got while clicking on a web link is: "There was a problem sending the command to the program." However, if the Internet Explorer is already open, then sometimes the web link succeeds in opening the link. At other times no.

Joseph Rodrigues

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Can you turn Norton off to test opening attachments?

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul.

I disabled both Norton Anti-Virus Auto-Protect as well as Norton Smart Firewall and try to open my email attachments. Windows Live Mail still freezes while trying to open the attachments.

Regards.
    Joseph Rodrigues

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Try attaching a text document (test.txt) and opening it. Try with Notepad open and with Notepad closed.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Paul, thanks for continuing to try to help me.

I sent a notepad text file as an attachment, and when the email was downloaded, tried to open the attahcment with both Notepad open as well as Notepad closed. In both cases, as before, double clicking the attachment to open it freezzes Windows Live Mail.

Regards.

Joseph Rodrigues

Thanks
    These problems did not exist prior to 2 months.
    Windows update may have installed a security patch that reverts your WLM client settings to a more robust setting.
    Check your WLM client's security settings to ensure you can open attachments and links in email.
    Also check to ensure the person sending is among the "safe senders" list.

I personally prefer to save attachments to a separate folder before opening them. This way I can scan them
    for infectious etiology. Better from a security standpoint, especially with exe's.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Joseph, have you looked here on the tools tab ?

[attachment=90063:s.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Clint Rossmere,

Thank you for your suggestion.

How do I get to the WLM Client's security settings to view it or modify it?

Thanks in anticipation.

Joseph Rodrigues.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My dear Roderunner,

I checked my Security settings. I find the "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus|" unchecked. I must have unchecked it sometime ago to sort out my problem. But the problem is still there in opening the attachments.

Regards
    Joseph Rodrigues

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear Clint Rossmere,

I went into Windows Live Mail (on the Internet) and looked at the possible security settings that need to be changed but everything seems to be in order.And so are the Windows Live Mail security settings in my laptop. [All my emails are downloaded to my laptop but the problem is in opening them in Windows Live Mail, even though, once the attachments are saved to another folder, they can be opened from that folder without any difficulty.] I am still at a loss!

Regards.

Joseph Rodrigues

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Rodrigues View Post
    For the last 2 months or so I have been experiencing problems opening all my email attachments in Windows Live Mail, be they in Word, Excell, PowerPoint, PDF. However if I save those attachments to a folder, then I can open them from there without any difficulties. These problems did not exist prior to 2 months.

I have a Toshiba Satgellite L350 laptop, with 3 GB RAM, 500GB HDD

I have the following software installed:
    Windows 7 Professional
    Microsoft Office 2010 Professional
    Norton 360 antivirus and a host of other programs.

My laptop is updated with all the Microsoft Updates on a regular basis and I have also checked my laptop for any viruses or other malware using Norton Scan, Trend Micro's House Call.

I have also uninstalled and reinstalled Windows Live Mail, changed my earlier 230 GB HDD to a 500 GB HDD and have reinstalled the OS, MS Office 2010 etc. but without any success.

Sometimes I am also encountering problems in opening some known websites by clicking on the "click to open" button.

Have checked my Norton 360 firewall configuration and other settings that would give me a clue but am unable to find anything that I could change to overcome my difficulties.

I would be grateful for any help received

Joseph Rodrigues
    sir you said you have reinstalled everything, and i assume that includes norton and trend micro? can you do a fresh install again without those security softwares? personally i dont trust those guys.