Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hopefully this is the correct thread, as I assume it is part of Office.

Downloading photos used to be a simple matter – connect the camera to the PC, Windows Picture and Fax Viewer opened, one could delete the poor photos, rotate those that needed it, copy to a folder on the PC and delete from the camera.

However, since reformatting the hard drive nothing happens when the camera is connected. Start/search is unable to locate the viewer, so I installed Lumix Simple Viewer, supplied with the camera, but it is extremely poor – all the photos have to be downloaded at the same time, regardless of subject matter, and they need to be deleted manually from the camera, one at a time. What a time waster!

Having done all of the above, and wishing to look at the photos with my wife, I right clicked the first one and chose ‘open with Iran view’ as usual, but noticed that Windows Picture and Fax Viewer was listed as and option. Subsequent tests show that the Windows Viewer is present and able to open the photos when selected.

So, can anyone explain why search is unable to find the Viewer, and, more importantly, how do I get it to open when a camera is connected to the PC.

I have Windows XP Home Edition and Office 2003 Pro, both of which are working well, apart from this blip.

I would be very grateful for a solution.

George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George - Try this (With camera attached to your computer) Go to Start>My Computer. Your camera will probably show up in the section for Scanners and Cameras. Right click on your camera and choose Properties. Click on Events tab and make your choices.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Thanks
    After reformatting, you may have updated Windows to include some patches that you hadn't installed before. In particular, there were some security issues with USB devices in the area of autorun/autoplay that may require some adjustments.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post
    Hi George - Try this (With camera attached to your computer) Go to Start>My Computer. Your camera will probably show up in the section for Scanners and Cameras. Right click on your camera and choose Properties. Click on Events tab and make your choices.

Hope that helps.

Tim
    Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. Did it help? Perhaps to some extent, but things still don’t work as smoothly as before.

Opening My Computer and switching on the camera opens Removable disc F rather than Scanners and Cameras. Right clicking and selecting Properties offers 5 sub headings as follows:

General gives the file system and the amount of empty space.
    Tools check for errors and defragment – best left alone as I do not wish to damage the camera.
    Hardware lists the various drives.
    Sharing is irrelevant.
    Autoplay. Surprisingly seems the most useful. After switching from the default music files to pictures there are 4 options. None of Print the Pictures, View a slide show, Open folder to view the folders or Copy pictures to a folder on the PC appear to do anything except close the folder almost immediately.

However, making another attempt today I discovered the photos in a folder titled ‘PhotofunStudio’ rather than the folder prepared for them. I have no idea if they were copied yesterday or today. That all had to be transferred manually to the appropriate folders, and manually deleted from the camera.

So I’m still looking for any easier way to download from the camera, as this is no better than the Lumix Simple Viewer, but thanks anyway.
    George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    After reformatting, you may have updated Windows to include some patches that you hadn't installed before. In particular, there were some security issues with USB devices in the area of autorun/autoplay that may require some adjustments.
    Thanks, but could you suggest where a comparative novice might start looking to make these adjustments?

Also, I have begun to wonder whether MS have discontinued or disabled the Windows Picture and Fax viewer, as I switched on
    the laptop (Vista and Office H&S 2010) this morning to install the September patches from MS, and took the opportunity to try downloading from the camera. Again no Picture and Fax viewer, but some other application that was not very user friendly.

George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by George Lee View Post
    Autoplay. Surprisingly seems the most useful. After switching from the default music files to pictures there are 4 options. None of Print the Pictures, View a slide show, Open folder to view the folders or Copy pictures to a folder on the PC appear to do anything except close the folder almost immediately.

So I’m still looking for any easier way to download from the camera, as this is no better than the Lumix Simple Viewer, but thanks anyway.
    George
    Hi George - Please note that "View a slide show" is using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. (see my arrows in pic below)

[attachment=90032:Picture and Fax Viewer.jpg]

Try it that way and see what happens.

By the way after reformatting the hard drive, did you reinstall the drivers for your particular camera? What is make and model of the camera?

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George - Please note that "View a slide show" is using Windows Picture and Fax Viewer. (see my arrows in pic below)

[attachment=90032:Picture and Fax Viewer.jpg]

Try it that way and see what happens.

By the way after reformatting the hard drive, did you reinstall the drivers for your particular camera? What is make and model of the camera?

Tim
    Hi Tim,

Yes, I had noticed that ‘View a slideshow’ opens with the Picture and Fax Viewer, but selecting it only closed the folder, as did the other options. I notice you select ‘apply’ rather than ‘OK’, but the only difference it makes is that the folder remains open, but nothing seems to happen – there is no apparent action in the camera (Panasonic Lumix TZ3) and after 45 minutes none of the photos had been downloaded to the PC.

I had already decided that the answer lay with your final point about reinstalling the drivers after reformatting, as I’m sure that was overlooked. However, inserting the installation disk and selecting USB drivers only brings a pop up reading “USB equipment operates with the driver installed as standard. You do not need to install a driver”

Finally I installed Arc Software Suite from the installation disk, which does at least let one select the pictures to download, but there is no option to remove the photos from the camera at the same time. After deleting several one at a time I finally succeeded in removing all in one go. But I still don’t know how I got there.

One other irritation. Arc Software provides for vertical photos to be rotated, and offers the option to save the alteration – which takes some time - but when one opens the photos with Irfanview they are back as before. Opening with Windows Picture and Fax Viewer retains the alteration. It’s so annoying that this application no longer functions for downloading from the camera.

At least Arc is better than the Lumix Viewer, so it seems that I am stuck with it for now.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi George - It is good that you are comfortable with Irfanview. Irfanview is one of my favorite programs. I am using version 4.27.

I use Irfan to make all the images you see in my recent posts. It is great for screenshots of your computer screens, adding arrows, inserting text comments, making boxes around items, etc.etc.It is all done with Irfan.

Irfanview is also one of my favorites for photos, slide shows, rotating pics, copying, deleting, shrinking size, etc, etc.

Does your camera create .jpg files for the photos?
    Is Irfan your default program for .jpg files?

There are a few settings in Irfan that may make things easier for you. Before trying these get some input from others.

Choose Options Properties

[attachment=90055:Irfanview choose Properties.jpg]

Then set the next screen as follows ....

[attachment=90056:Irfanview extensions properties.jpg]

I think Irfanview can handle most of your photo tasks.

Get some input from others before making changes to your system.

Tim

PS: Irfanview is FREE for non commercial use.
    Get it here ...Irfanview
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    try this:

Start - Run - regsvr32 shimgvw.dll

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greg andrene View Post
    try this:

Start - Run - regsvr32 shimgvw.dll
    Thanks, but what is this supposed to do? A message popped up saying the dll was now registered but nothing else appeared.

I took a few trial photos and connected the camera to the PC, but it is still necessary to manually open removable drive F – the camera - then some Panasonic programme shows the pictures, but there is no easy way to handle them from that point. In other words, just like the Lumix Simple Viewer supplied with the camera.

I’m going on a Mediterranean cruise at the end of next week and will probably return with several hundred photos in the camera, but it seems they will have to downloaded and deleted from the camera individually or the whole lot in one go, as there is currently no way to select groups, such as each destination visited.

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer used to handle this easily, but it’s now only available to view the photos, not select those to move. It’s the same with the other options for viewing them, i.e. Irfanview, MS Office Picture Manager and Quick Time (which doesn’t even open).

It’s ridiculous that after reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling all the programmes this problem has appeared.

But thanks for your suggestion anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello George - Have you had a chance to set up Irfan to do what you want?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello George - Have you had a chance to set up Irfan to do what you want?
    Hi Tim,

Despite having the same verson as you, and following the setting in your screenshots, I have still not had any success with Irfanview. In fact I am even more convinced that before that as the name IrfanVIEW implies, it is intended for viewing and manipulating photos on a PC, not for getting them there from the camera.

I did have hopes that Select Twain source or Acquire/Batch scanning might prove successful, but they just lead to the scanner.

It seems the only option is to carry on doing everything manually with the lumix viewer.

George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I took a few trial photos and connected the camera to the PC, but it is still necessary to manually open removable drive F – the camera - then some Panasonic programme shows the pictures, but there is no easy way to handle them from that point. All of the photos that were selected will be gone with one press of the Delete key.

Hi George -

If using Windows Explorer to open F:, right click and choose "Browse with IrfanView". The photos should show up as thumbnails.While holding your Control(Ctrl) key, click each photo that you want to Delete. Then, right click and choose "Delete". All of the photos that were selected will be gone with one press of the Delete key.

Hope that helps.
    Tim

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If using Windows Explorer to open F:, right click and choose "Browse with IrfanView". The photos should show up as thumbnails.While holding your Control(Ctrl) key, click each photo that you want to Delete. Then, right click and choose "Delete". All of the photos that were selected will be gone with one press of the Delete key.
    Hi Tim,

Cracked it!

The Irfanview method may not be as elegant and easy to use as Windows P & F Viewer for handling pictures, but it sure beats deleting them individually from the camera.

It was necessary to experiment with your last message, as I needed to transfer the pictures to the PC before deleting them, but I finally found the simple way to do so. I had previously tried the transfer files option, which opens a page with 14 directories, I would navigate to the previously created folder for them, but nothing would happen. I have now discovered that clicking Directory 1 transfers them to the folder and removes them from the camera at the same time.

This is not as secure as the Windows Viewer, which offers the option of deleting or not. With important pics I used to transfer them to the new folder without deleting, check that everything was OK, then transfer again to a temp folder, this time selecting delete from camera, then delete the temp folder.

This morning I had a bonus, discovering the solution to the one annoying feature of Irfan - that if a pic needs rotating, it has to be done each time you view it. After transferring the latest set of test pics I viewed them with Windows viewer, rotated the couple that had been taken vertically, then opened them again with Irfan and they were the right way up. I tried again later to check and they were still correct.

Tim, I am very grateful for your help and your patience in dealing with my problem.

Best wishes

George

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello George - Thank you for your kind comments. Looks like progress is being made. Irfan has so many nice features.

....... I have now discovered that clicking Directory 1 transfers them to the folder and removes them from the camera at the same time. This is not as secure as the Windows Viewer, which offers the option of deleting or not. With important pics I used to transfer them to the new folder without deleting, check that everything was OK, then transfer again to a temp folder, this time selecting delete from camera, then delete the temp folder........
    It sounds like the pics are using "Move" rather than "Copy".
    In Windows Explorer right click the folder on your F: drive that contains your pics and choose "Browse with IrfanView". This will open the Irfan Thumbnails window. On the left side it will show your folders and on the right side will be thumbnails of your pics. On the Menu bar choose Options>Select All. This will highlight all of the pics. Next, choose File>Copy selected files. On the next screen (in Item 5) click "Browse" to choose where the pics will be copied to. You should now see the path to where the pics will be copied, click OK. At the bottom of the window choose 5 and the pics will be copied to the location chosen and the pics remain in original location.

Notes: I used Item 5, but any of the 14 Items can be used. If you look at the File menu again, you will notice options to Move or Delete. Also note in the left window, you can select any of your folders too see thumbnails of the pics in them.

I'll comment next on how to rotate and save within Irfan.

Hope that helps.

Tim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast