New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy

Hi all - first time on, although I've been a Letter reader for years.

I am running Window 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I also have installed pretty much all the versions of Windows 7 on various other machines. My particular problem is this:

When I drag (or should I say "copy" or "create a shortcut") a website from Favorites to the Desktop, I seem to get a mix of shortcuts that have either correct (for the site that is) logos, or the generic "IC" logs. It's the generic ones that bother me. If you go back to "Favorites," you will see the correct logo for that site, yet, when you copy it to the desktop, a generic IE logo appears. I know that some sites don't utlize logos, and I have no problem with that.

I normally run the 32-bit version of IE, since that's what it defaults to.

As I said earlier, some shortcut logos are fine. It's the hit-or-miss nature that bugs the heck out of me. Looking at the shortcut's properties doesn't seem to yield any useful info.

Even when I delete the Favorite link, go back to that website, and then re-save the link in Favorites, it doesn't correct the problem.

I did some searching in this forum, but didn't seem to find anything that applied...or I'm not looking for the right thing.

Any suggestions or help on this?

Thanks!

- Randy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Dealing with Favicons has always been problematic within IE. Just because your delete the favorite shortcut does not mean the icon gets deleted from your IE cache. It could still be there in whatever state is causing your issue.

You can use a tool such as AM-Deadlink to validate your favorites, download their icons to a separate folder, & associate the favorite shortcut with the downloaded icon. That should eliminate IE from the equation as far as the icon goes.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Acorcey View Post
    Hi all - first time on, although I've been a Letter reader for years.

Any suggestions or help on this?

Thanks!

- Randy

Welcome to the Lounge.

Is this the kind of shortcut your getting ? This is for this topic and it works on my PC

[attachment=90027:3.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    First, JoeP, thanks for your input. I will take a look at the link/program you quoted this weekend.

RodeRunner: Yeah, the pic you included pretty much sums it up. You get a tiny graphic icon (of whatever the website is or uses as a grapic) inside of much bigger white (shortcut) icon. Never had that problem under XP, but I understand each OS has its own idiosyncracies. Yet other shortcut icons are their normal, full, self.

Any thoughts Herr Doktor?

Thanks
    Being a nature lover I prefer the Fox as in Fire
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If you are a bit adventurous you could try the IE9 beta -Discover Internet Explorer 9 Beta - Microsoft Windows.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    If you are a bit adventurous you could try the IE9 beta -Discover Internet Explorer 9 Beta - Microsoft Windows.

Joe

Thanks guys. Joe - as I've learned in the past, don't be too adventurous with Microsoft products Yours is an otherwise good idea, but I'll wait for the release version.

I can live with the goofy shortcuts for the time being. I thought some of you may have seen some "fixes" for same. Perhaps Firefox doesn't suffer from the same problem, but I've seen some connection problems with Firefox users at work under sundry and various modes and conditions. So, at least at work, Firefox is on the non-gratis list.

Thanks again for all your great ideas.

- Randy