Thread: IE8 no Gmail

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Dear All,

IE8 suddenly wont take me gmail.com (even if I add it to Trusted Sites) and there seems to be the overall inability to handle https. All of the Use SSL and
    TLS entries in IE’s Advanced Settings are grayed out, I can’t change them even if I run it as administrator.

Add / Remove Windows components is useless since trying to remove IE8 from there and then adding it again did nothing, it still remembered my homepage and other settings, it was more like Hide and Unhide! Earlier I had a add-on mess up (the Ask Toolbar slipped in with the darn Foxit Reader) and IE Reset or System Restore wouldn’t work. I did a bit of manual cleaning and it seemed to work fine for sometime.

Basically, I have a broken browser that should be removed and reinstalled. Could anybody suggest how to go about this?

People elsewhere have gone to the extent of recommending using another browser and so on. I use the Gmail Drive Extension (http://www.viksoe.dk/) that has IE dependencies. I am a fan of the extension since it conveniently backs up stuff to my Gmail account and I don't really need a home server or third-party tools to access stuff away from home. I hope this gives a better picture of the situation and my need to fix IE8.

I've upgraded to IE9 Beta available now, but still no luck!

I am on Windows 7 Ultimate with the PC Tools Free Firewall and Avast Free.

Regards ~ MFK.

Thanks
    Since you posted that you have this same problem with Chrome ([topic=778262]Chrome, Chromium and Iron (Lounge forum: Third-Party Browsers)[/topic]), perhaps it is an issue with your Windows certificate store. I'm still using Windows XP, so I can't provide much guidance on how to check that out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks jscher2000!

But Firefox and Opera are doing just fine! Firefox in the TOR portable package is working too! Unless FF and Opera don't use the Windows Certificate Store and have their own Windows independant certificate management system they should be broken too?

Now i'll look around about the Windows Certificate Store.

Addition: I fired up certmgr.msc and searched for certificates from google or gmail that could have possibly ended up in the Untrusted List; but there's nothing.

Regards ~ MFK.