Thread: Hotmail filters

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter has Internet access via Bell/Sympatico. She uses Eudora 7.1 as her desktop email client. Her mail comes through Bell/Sympatico via Windows Live Hotmail. The problem is Hotmail is filtering her mail and some is being sent to the junk folder where it is deleted after ten days. Most of the messages labeled junk by Hotmail are ones she wants. The only filtering options given by Bell Hotmail is Standard - Most junk e-mail is sent to the junk e-mail folder or Exclusive - Everything is sent to the junk e-mail folder except messages from your contacts and safe senders, Bell Mail service announcements, and alerts that you signed up for.
    Note: You should occasionally check your junk e-mail folder to make sure that good messages don't get put there by mistake.
    I would like to find out if anyone knows how to get all filters turned off in Bell Hotmail. All help would be appreciated
    Thanks
    Frank Murphy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Those junk mail options are the standard Hotmail options regardless of ISP. Your daughter needs to go to the "Safe and Blocked Senders" option in Hotmail and add the senders who are getting filtered to her safe senders list.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Joe
    Not possible. she would be doing this on a continual basis. She does not want any filtering. The problem is Bell is using hotmail servers as their mail storage and they give a stripped down version of hotmail options. Bell/Sympatico should not be doing any filtering, that is the users responsibility. If a user wants to use hotmail and accept their filtering that is their choice, but Bell/Sympatico does not give anyone choice. You cannot even create your own filter. I would like the option to turn all filtering off.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Even in standard Hotmail there is no way to turn off filtering completely. Many e-mail providers force you to go along with their filtering these days. About the only thing you can choose if the filtering level.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The problem here is Bell/Sympatico is allowing Hotmail to filter their users email wether they want it filtered or not. Then they are saying the problem belongs to Microsoft not them. What a bunch. My provider (Cogeco) allows me to set up my own filters, that way if I want everything to arrive on my computer it does. I think filtering should be up to the user. This is a good reason never to subscribe to a Bell/Sympatico account or to get rid of one. I will be passing this info to everyone that I know who has a Bell/Sympatico account. Why bother having an email client if I also have to check web mail to make sure I am receiving everything. Two checks to determine that I am receiving one email I don't think so.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I think you might be surprised at the number of email providers that filter email now before it even hits your email account.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had similar issues with hotmail and usually if someone is in your address book on hotmail it won't be blocked. However, there is no way to completely turn off the Spam filter so if you use a hotmail account you have to check you junk box once a week or risk losing mail. That is actually one of the two main reasons I switched from using hotmail as my primary email to google. The other reason being that hotmail requires STARTLS for SMTP but, doesn't advertise STARTLS thus making it impossible for me to send mail with Thunderbird. Google has no such issues.
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm on XP and Thunderbird. Recently my Email forwards have frequently been blocked, especially if more graphics.