Lounger
    Thanks
    I think this may be of use to other newbies, like me, who have laptops/PCs without Microsoft disc(s). The Supplier provIded a partition with an area, 6.6GB, to be used in the event of a re-install. The downside of doing that is that all Windows updates would need to be re-done, all programs re-installed and all personal configurations would need to be re-done. A daunting task. I decided to experiment after I spotted that Windows can make an image.

Using the wizard I created an image on an Expansion drive. That was simple. The image was 31GB. The daring thing was to restore the image. Again using the wizard made it simple. In total it took about 25 minutes, with a lot of time spent reading and re-reading the instructions. It worked beautifully and all tests were ok.

The only issue, minor, was that my Ubuntu dual boot was not restored - I should have assumed it would be "dropped". This will be a benefit to me as I can now remove the current Ubuntu and install the next.

Any one wanting to see what I did can look at https://sites.google.com/site/brian4...store-an-image

Brian

Thanks
    Hi Brian-Martin, look in 'Security and Backups' forum to see how the regulars do it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner

Apologies for not being clear enough.

I wanted to show others, newbies like me, that it was possible to use a standard Windows 7 wizard to make and restore an image easily and speedily.

Thanks for reminding me of the 'Security and Backups' forum

Brian

PS. I put the post in this forum as I thought newbies would look here first.

Thanks
    Brian, this is one of my backups using Acronis 2010, look @ the size, it took under 6 minutes to make. Recovery takes about the same time.

[attachment=90048:w.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Brian, this is one of my backups using Acronis 2010, look @ the size, it took under 6 minutes to make. Recovery takes about the same time.

[attachment=90048:w.JPG]
    Similarly, my compressed image is just over 20 GB and takes about 15 minutes to and/or from my USB Ext HD. (C Drive only. All 3 partitions total about 35 GB and takes about 25 minutes to complete) The creation includes validation. I am very happy with these times.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, really helpful……