Lounger
    Thanks
    I use GFI Backup Home Edition to make daily incremental backups and less frequent full backups. I would like to have the program play a sound file to notify me when the backup process has finished. I'm in GFI Backup, looking at the Events dialog box in the Daily Backup properties, and I see a checkbox for "Run after task ends." Checking the box opens an input area with a Browse option that allows me to choose only an executable file. (I was hoping I could choose a .wav file.)

So here's my problem: I want to run a program that will play one of the .wav files on my hard drive, but I don't know what program to run or, more precisely, how to open a program to automatically play a specific sound file.

Does anyone have any thoughts that might help me? Is there some way I can turn a .wav file into an executable, or to set up an executable that will automatically play a specific .wav file when the program opens?

Thanks for your help!

New Lounger
    Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands
    Thanks
    Hi,

This will probably work for Windows XP:

sndrec32.exe /play /close %windir%\Media\chimes.wav

For Windows Vista, you could try this (I have not tested this myself):

SoundRecorder.exe /play /close %windir%\Media\chimes.wav

Any .wav file will do, just make sure the directory path is correct. If the directory or file name contain spaces you will need to use quotation marks, e.g.:

sndrec32.exe /play /close "C:\Program Files\Syslogd\Sounds\Alarm.wav"

Roelof

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Roelof! Thanks for responding. I tried what you suggested, but got an error message: file not found. (I know the file is there.) I tried using the same command in the Run dialog box, and it worked fine (couldn't have done that without your help -- thank you!). I'll play around with it for a while and maybe I can tweak something to make it work.

In any event, you gave me a valuable piece of advice! I no longer feel like I'm totally in the dark.

Lenore Collins

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe I've misunderstood what you're suggesting, but I don't think that's my answer. I need an executable file (.exe) that will open to play a sound. I did try just entering the .wav file in the dialog box, but that didn't work -- needs to be an executable.

I think my answer may lie somewhere in what Roelof suggested, but I'll have to do some tinkering to get to where I want to be.

I appreciate your trying to help -- thanks!

Lenore

New Lounger
    Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, The Netherlands
    Thanks
    It's possible your back-up utility expects a single filename, without parameters. Creating a batch file to execute the command might work. If you open Notepad (or a similar program), enter these lines

Code:
    @ECHO OFF
    %windir%\system32\sndrec32.exe /play /close %windir%\Media\chimes.wav
    ... and save them as PLAYSND.CMD, you can specify the name of that batch file in the application. (You'll probably need to specify the full path.)

Roelof

Thanks
    Lenore, what sound types have you tried, i.e. .wav,.wma.,mp3 etc
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Lounger
    Thanks
    Roelof, Roderunner -- I really appreciate your responses, but I need to abandon this project for the time being. While I'd like to solve the problem, it's not a safety-in-flight issue, and the time it's taking will be better spent on revenue-producing activities. I'll just go back to watching the monitor to see when the backup finishes.

Thank you again!

Lenore