Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In my Library under Win 7 using Windows Explorer, I have a Documents entry, a Pictures entry, etc. Under the Pictures entry I currently have two folders - My Pictures and Public Pictures. I would like to create additional folders at the same level as these two, but I do not seem to be able to do this. When I try to create a new folder, it gets placed under the My Pictures folder as a subfolder. I want to know what I need to do to create a new folder at the same level as the existing two folders. For example, I currently have four top-level folders under the My Documents heading within my Library. I am obviously missing something here and any help, insight, etc. that anyone would care to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron M View Post
    In my Library under Win 7 using Windows Explorer, I have a Documents entry, a Pictures entry, etc. Under the Pictures entry I currently have two folders - My Pictures and Public Pictures. I would like to create additional folders at the same level as these two, but I do not seem to be able to do this. When I try to create a new folder, it gets placed under the My Pictures folder as a subfolder. I want to know what I need to do to create a new folder at the same level as the existing two folders. For example, I currently have four top-level folders under the My Documents heading within my Library. I am obviously missing something here and any help, insight, etc. that anyone would care to offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M
    The Libraries are pointers to the real folders which are located in C:, Users, (User Name). Check in this folder for your My Documents and My Pictures. There have been several different threads discussing the Win 7 Libraries. Check this thread for some tips on the Windows 7 Libraries.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hi Ron,

Create your new folder anywhere on your hard drive you want, then right click the new folder, select Include in Library, and then select your Pictures Library. This will add your new folder to the Pictures Library on an equal level with the My Pictures and Public Pictures folders.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    After creating the folder that you want, you can also right-click the library and select Properties. The Properties dialog lets you manage the library: adding, removing and rearranging the folders in the library. But you do have to create the folder first.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all. I now have a better understanding of how Libraries work than I did before

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I still am getting a couple of my "picture" files that, when I try and include them in the Pictures Library entry, it tells me...this folder could not be included in Pictures, or the folder is already included in the Picture Library, when in fact it is not. Go figure??

On another point, I accidentally got one of these files in the wrong Library, how do I get rid of it from the Library?

What I am basically trying to do is as follows...currently, I have two top-level folders in my Pictures Library - My Pictures and Public Pictures. Within the Public Pictures folder, I have a number of other folders that I would like to "promote" to the same level as these two. I have been able to do this with a couple with no problem, but others are giving me problems and I do not understand why. They are simply additional folders under the Public Pictures main entry/folder and yet I get the messages noted above when I try to "upgrade" them. Any additional help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Johnson2191 View Post
    After creating the folder that you want, you can also right-click the library and select Properties. The Properties dialog lets you manage the library: adding, removing and rearranging the folders in the library. But you do have to create the folder first.
    After looking at some of these postings, this may be the answer - I will try this approach and see if it works for the more "stubborn" ones. So I tried it, and the folder comes into the Properties dialog display as if it is being included, but it never shows up in the list of folders under the Pictures Library, so I don't know what to do with this one - real puzzle...

Ron M

Thanks
    I still am getting a couple of my "picture" files that, when I try and include them in the Pictures Library entry, it tells me...this folder could not be included in Pictures, or the folder is already included in the Picture Library, when in fact it is not. Go figure??

On another point, I accidentally got one of these files in the wrong Library, how do I get rid of it from the Library?

What I am basically trying to do is as follows...currently, I have two top-level folders in my Pictures Library - My Pictures and Public Pictures. Within the Public Pictures folder, I have a number of other folders that I would like to "promote" to the same level as these two. I have been able to do this with a couple with no problem, but others are giving me problems and I do not understand why. They are simply additional folders under the Public Pictures main entry/folder and yet I get the messages noted above when I try to "upgrade" them. Any additional help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ron M
    You cannot right click on files to include them in a library. You can only do that with folders. You can just use your mouse to drag and drop individual files to a folder inside a library. Where is the folder located that caused the error message when you attempted to include it in your Pictures Library? I have no idea why you received the error messages because I cannot see exactly what you did there.

When you accidentally place a file or folder in the wrong Library, use your mouse to drag and drop to move the file or folder to the correct Library.

Here is the best method I know of to promote a folder to be a top-level folder like My Pictures and Public Pictures in your Pictures Library. Go to a folder in your Public Pictures folder that you want to promote to top-level. Right click the folder and select Open folder location. This takes you to the actual source folder that your folder in Public Pictures (within the Pictures Library) points to. You can then left click that source folder, and drag the folder out of the source Public Pictures folder under your user profile and drop it on your username under the Users folder. This moves the folder to a new location in your User Profile. Then right click the folder you dropped on your username and select Include in Library and then click the Pictures Library. You will then see a top-level folder with the same name in your Pictures Library along with the original two top-level folders My Pictures and Public Pictures. Please note that you are not confined to moving your folder to another location under your username. You can move the folder to any location on your hard drive and the end result will be the same.

By using the above method, the folder you just included in your Pictures Library as a top-level folder will not have a twin in the Pictures Library - Public Pictures folder.

The best way to add to Libraries is to create new Libraries and include any folders on your hard drive in the new or existing Libraries.

As an aside, any new document you create and save will show up in one of your Library folders if the folder you save to has been included in a library. You can also copy files from one folder to another within Libraries and the source folders will be updated with the changes as well.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the folder comes into the Properties dialog display as if it is being included, but it never shows up in the list of folders under the Pictures Library, so I don't know what to do with this one - real puzzle...
    Could you post a screen shot of the Library Properties dialog box after the folder is added, and indicate which was the new folder that never showed up? And you did click OK and not Cancel when closing the dialog, correct?

Also, how are you verifying that the folder never showed up? Are you expanding the Libraries | Pictures entry in the tree view (left panel) in Explorer?

(To take a screen shot, open the dialog and press ATL+PrtScn - that sends the dialog box to the clipboard, then you can paste it into paint for some other tool and save it.)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Within the Public Pictures folder, I have a number of other folders that I would like to "promote" to the same level as these two. I have been able to do this with a couple with no problem, but others are giving me problems and I do not understand why. They are simply additional folders under the Public Pictures main entry/folder and yet I get the messages noted above when I try to "upgrade" them. Any additional help that anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Go to one of the recalcitrant folders in Explorer and right-click on it and click Properties. Post the folder properties dialog box in the forum. I suspect that you are not dealing with a real folder but perhaps with a link - seeing the properties dialog would confirm this.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    You cannot right click on files to include them in a library. You can only do that with folders. You can just use your mouse to drag and drop individual files to a folder inside a library. Where is the folder located that caused the error message when you attempted to include it in your Pictures Library? I have no idea why you received the error messages because I cannot see exactly what you did there.

When you accidentally place a file or folder in the wrong Library, use your mouse to drag and drop to move the file or folder to the correct Library.

Here is the best method I know of to promote a folder to be a top-level folder like My Pictures and Public Pictures in your Pictures Library. Go to a folder in your Public Pictures folder that you want to promote to top-level. Right click the folder and select Open folder location. This takes you to the actual source folder that your folder in Public Pictures (within the Pictures Library) points to. You can then left click that source folder, and drag the folder out of the source Public Pictures folder under your user profile and drop it on your username under the Users folder. This moves the folder to a new location in your User Profile. Then right click the folder you dropped on your username and select Include in Library and then click the Pictures Library. You will then see a top-level folder with the same name in your Pictures Library along with the original two top-level folders My Pictures and Public Pictures. Please note that you are not confined to moving your folder to another location under your username. You can move the folder to any location on your hard drive and the end result will be the same.

By using the above method, the folder you just included in your Pictures Library as a top-level folder will not have a twin in the Pictures Library - Public Pictures folder.

The best way to add to Libraries is to create new Libraries and include any folders on your hard drive in the new or existing Libraries.

As an aside, any new document you create and save will show up in one of your Library folders if the folder you save to has been included in a library. You can also copy files from one folder to another within Libraries and the source folders will be updated with the changes as well.
    My mistake, I really meant folders when I said files - I am so used to using the terms interchangeably. I will review what you have outlined and see if this helps with my "problem.

Maybe I will create a new "Pictures Library" entry and call it "New Pictures" or something like that and see if that helps.

I sincerely appreciate the help you are trying to give me - I am sorry if I am so slow on the uptake, but this is a new thing for me to get my head around.

Thanks.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Could you post a screen shot of the Library Properties dialog box after the folder is added, and indicate which was the new folder that never showed up? And you did click OK and not Cancel when closing the dialog, correct?

Also, how are you verifying that the folder never showed up? Are you expanding the Libraries | Pictures entry in the tree view (left panel) in Explorer?

(To take a screen shot, open the dialog and press ATL+PrtScn - that sends the dialog box to the clipboard, then you can paste it into paint for some other tool and save it.)
    I must admit, I am not sure how to "post" a screen shot - again something new to me - so I will give it a shot - what do I do with it when I save it in "paint". I can verify that the folders never showed up by exapanding the Library entry and they aren't there. Thanks for the help you are trying to give this newby.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to one of the recalcitrant folders in Explorer and right-click on it and click Properties. Post the folder properties dialog box in the forum. I suspect that you are not dealing with a real folder but perhaps with a link - seeing the properties dialog would confirm this.
    I will check this out, but I am going back to the source under Users>Public>Public Pictures...Thanks for this suggestion.

Ron M

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, Gerald and Peter, I don't know what I wasn't doing last night, but tonight, following your suggestions, I seem to be able to make it work - error message free!! I was able to move two of the folders that I wanted at the "top" level to the "top" level...and so all is well that ends well. Thanks to both of you for your patience and your help in getting this newbie to Libraries and Win 7 through this process.

Ron M

Thanks
    Glad to hear things went well, Ron! Thanks for posting back your success.
    Deadeye81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast