Star Lounger
    Thanks
    System is XP SP3 on a netbook that is 10 months old. Also running MSE and Comodo for a firewall. Not a lot of junk on this computer. I keep it updated with security updates.

Over the last several months this is the scenario for new security updates. I get the notice of new updates. Check the ones I want installed and it proceeds to download them. After they are downloaded I click on start, turn off computer and at that point I get an hour glass that never goes away. I have tried pulling up task manager and telling it to shutdown from there. It will begin the shutdown process and gets to the screen that says windows is shutting down and nothing else happens. Have to force the power off.

I have to do this a few times and then it behaves as though the updates were never downloaded and in fact is downloading them again right now. Often it seems to give up on the shutdown method of installation and offers me the option to install without shutting down.

Needless to say I don't have it set to automatically download and install updates.

Does anyone have any ideas other than quit accepting updates?

Jim

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Have you tried installing the updates before shutting down?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    When the updates are done down loading.Wait for the page to come up that ask you do you want to restart your computer then click on restart.This way the updates do actually install on your computer.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Jim, I had the problem re restarting after installing updates, what caused it is still a mystery. All I did was walk the dog while it was waiting to do whatever was needed. Patience is the key.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by P T View Post
    Have you tried installing the updates before shutting down?

cheers, Paul
    Doesn't give me that option.

Jim

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chowur View Post
    When the updates are done down loading.Wait for the page to come up that ask you do you want to restart your computer then click on restart.This way the updates do actually install on your computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Jim, I had the problem re restarting after installing updates, what caused it is still a mystery. All I did was walk the dog while it was waiting to do whatever was needed. Patience is the key.

Patience may be the answer. Yesterday after the two forced shutdowns it later prompted me to install the downloads again and then when finished popped up the offer to restart which worked fine. Thanks for the input.

Jim