New Lounger
    Thanks
    After installing the mid-September batch of Microsoft updates, I started having a serious problem in Outlook 2007: It was blocking ALL received attachments, not just those normally blocked. For example, several received .doc, .docx, and .zip files all got the "unsafe attachment" notice in Outlook, and access was denied.

There were many patches installed this week, but the offender appears to be the Outlook security update for KB2288953. As soon as I uninstalled that patch (and rebooted), Outlook's behavior with attachments was back to normal.

One thing that might be relevant, though I'm not sure: I use the Outlook add-in Attachments Processor from MapiLab to strip out and relocate attachments (leaving a link behind). The add-in was still successfully stripping out and relocating the attachments, so the attachments were accessible outside of Outlook. But within Outlook, access was denied. Perhaps there's something about the links that are substituted for the files that this patch didn't like.

Just thought I'd pass this along in case it might help someone else.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.asp for advice on how to either edit the registry or choose a program to adjust these settings.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Thanks
    You might also look at this threard

Error Message
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Ok, now this KB is affecting IE 9. At least it appears so, as I have uninstalled IE 9 and gone back to IE 8 and so far no problems.
    It keeps mentioning Visual Studio, but I do not have Visual studio on my laptop. I did at one time, but no longer. In looking in add / delete i see 4 instances of Visual C ++, and am wondering whether or not that those may be the reason the error message reads the wat it does.
    What do you folks think, and is it safe to remove those?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Since my original post, I have confirmed that this behavior is related to the use of the Attachments Processor add-in from Mapilabs. The recent Outlook security patch caused problems with Attachments Processor's use of .lnk substitutes for the original files. (The add-in strips out email attachments to a directory of your choice, and leaves behind a link to that file instead of the actual attachment.)

Mapilab was able to provide a .reg file that fixed the problem. It includes the following item:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\O utlook\Security] "AllowAttachByRef"=dword:00000001

Now Outlook presents those attachment links as before, without a security warning.

It wouldn't surprise me if this issue cropped up with other attachment-stripping add-ins since most of them do the same thing (substitute a link for a file).

Perhaps this will help someone else.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for posting your solution.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many, many thanks James!
    I had exactly the same problem and had got as far as the same registry "folder" but, as I didn't see an entry that looked appropriate, I had hit a wall. I, too, use an attachments processor (EZDetach from TechHit) but had not got as far as talking to them about it - I hadn't changed anything there :-o
    Nice digging and thanks for posting the the fix!
    Top Banana!