New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a vista computer and wish to install Window home 7 premium but to a new and larger hard disk. How can I do this? Must I reinstall Vista on the new hard disk then upgrade to Windows 7?
    Thanks
    Bill

Thanks
    If you don't want to do a clean install, I would make an image of the current Vista disk, restore (clone) it to the new disk, then upgrade to Windows 7.

If you decide to go that route, do a thorough cleanup of the Vista disk and defrag first.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Farris View Post
    I have a vista computer and wish to install Window home 7 premium but to a new and larger hard disk. How can I do this? Must I reinstall Vista on the new hard disk then upgrade to Windows 7?
    Thanks
    Bill, Welcome to the Lounge. New perspectives are always welcome.

Check out Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows for the instructions you need. These instructions will guide you step by step to install Win 7 on a new HD without installing Vista first using the upgrade installation media.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just did a disk size upgrade last night using the following:

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

(This is only for 32bit and home use)

I use a USB to SATA dock for the new drive. Use the disk copy feature, copying the entire old disk to the new disk, and be sure to tell the machine to shut down once it is done. (If you do not the MBR disk ID will be changed on the imaged disk and it will not boot when you swap the disks).

After the machine is shut down, pull the old disk, install the new disk and boot it up. It will ask for another reboot but when it has rebooted the second time you should have your old Vista install running on the new, larger disk. After this has been accomplished, you can do your upgrade install to Win7.

<the whole process took about 1.25hr on an 80gb disk with Windows XP pro SP3>

Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, greets.

What have you heard lately about this MS offer of up to three licenses on a Family plan ? Win Se7en, of course !

A nice evening to you. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Parrot View Post
    Ted, greets.

What have you heard lately about this MS offer of up to three licenses on a Family plan ? Win Se7en, of course !

Have not heard anything as I am not looking, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Parrot View Post
    Ted, greets.

See Amazon.com: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Family Pack (3-User): Software.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    To add to Joe's post, I remembered seeing this Ed Bott's Microsoft Report - Windows 7 Family Pack discounts return

Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe and Ian, good morning.

I thank you both for the references. I will action soon. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe and Ian, me again.

I had a look at your two references and so far, I have not found the like of them north of the 45th, ( why do we not invade again ? ). So, my daughter has a collaborating friend south of said border and will ask for a relay. Further later.

But thanks to both of you. . Jean.

NB: Joe you will see my former user name now. I did a restore to last week in August and got back on as before. Very strange to say the least. J.

Thanks
    Hello Jean,

Joe has posted an update regarding the family pack here.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to all for your help with my upgrading to a larger hard disk and Windows 7 upgrade. It took longer than expected but the process was straightforward and worked great!
    Bill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Farris View Post
    Thanks to all for your help with my upgrading to a larger hard disk and Windows 7 upgrade. It took longer than expected but the process was straightforward and worked great!
    So, share with us... what method/procedure did you use?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I used Easeus (free download) with the Wizard to image my original hard disk to a 1.5 TB hard disk plugged into an external Thermalake unit. It took many hours-? 12?- or so to do the image with USB2 for my original 500 GB hard disk to finish. Then I unplugged the original drive, put in the new drive into the computer, and booted up-it took 2-3 tries, then it was read to go. I shut down, inserted the windows 7 upgrade disk and booted up and used the custom installation. It worked for hours then, it started to update, and there I was with the new installation. . The I did the Windows updates again, then reinstalled all my programs . At that point I imaged my new Windows 7 drive with the Windows imager, and then installed all my data. If some of this explanation is not clear, let me know.
    Bill