New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am looking for a very simple program to find and eliminate duplicate photos on my computer. I use Vista and my browser is Firefox, which is about the limit of my computer literacy. I would prefer a free program or a low cost below thirty dollars. I have tried Picsa's duplicate "software" and a software recommended in the newsletter a while back, but both seem to me to be overly complicated for what I want to do. As I said earlier my computer literacy is minimal and my patience in reading long instructions short.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

Gunny1

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Finding duplicate photos is a complex process as you need to compare the file contents.
    Patience is most definitely required when using a computer.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunny1 View Post
    I am looking for a very simple program to find and eliminate duplicate photos on my computer. I use Vista and my browser is Firefox, which is about the limit of my computer literacy. I would prefer a free program or a low cost below thirty dollars. I have tried Picsa's duplicate "software" and a software recommended in the newsletter a while back, but both seem to me to be overly complicated for what I want to do. As I said earlier my computer literacy is minimal and my patience in reading long instructions short.

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

Gunny1
    Gunny1 Welcome to the Lounge

Create a new folder on your desktop by right click on empty space. Now open your photo's folders one at a time, select all per folder, then drag to new folder.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Gunny - Welcome to the Lounge. You will find lots of help here.

Just curious, do your duplicate photos have the same file name? Are the duplicate photos in different folders on your computer?
    For example do you have a file named something like 100_0575.jpg in two different places or something like myfriends.jpg in two different places?

Just trying to determine if you have duplicate file names or if you have the same photo with two different file names. What leads you to the conclusion that you have duplicate photos on your computer? Also, are you comfortable with looking at files with Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer) ?

Tim

New Lounger
    Thanks
    When my last computer bought the farm, I recovered over 10,000 files from the other drive. I loaded the new drive from a disk backup (about 4-month old), so I had the same dilemma.

I bought "Duplicate File Finder" from Funduc Software. It was about $10, as I recall. It compares files by size and checksum value, so it doesn't matter what the file names is, or was. Understandably, it runs a long time. After that, you can selected files from the displayed duplicates. I exported it to a CSV file and wrote a macro to make a DOS batch file to "bulk delete" files. (It found tons of files in the browser cache too, so many of them were junk.)

It sure beats looking at them one-by-one.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You may try the Duplicate File Finder from
    http://www.auslogics.com/en/
    Simple, easy.

Thanks
    An application that finds duplicate images only, ImgSearch can match resized photos.Here's the link: KOL and MCK Web page. BTW,it's FREE!
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    A triplicate of duplicate-file finders was a topic in the November 4 Windows Secrets Newsletter. This is an extensive discussion you should read, if only for the information it provides. All three examples are freeware.

Among the non-free examples, Easy Duplicate Finder gets rave reviews. I havenít tried it myself, but it appears to be very reasonably priced.