Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I've had my computer (not portable) for 2 years and now I received a warning that I have only 2.78 GB left out of 74.5 GB. I know very little about computers but I notice that there are many folders that I never opened, like all the appdata folders, etc.

Can you tell me which folders I can safely delete without damaging anything on the computer?

Thanks.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try a FREE program to determine what folders are taking up space
    TreeSize Free V2.4

That will show you how the drive space is being used.

Thanks
    Start by going to the control panel and uninstalling programs you no longer need or use.
    Get and run the program CCleaner Use CCleaner's registry "fix" mode after uninstalling programs.
    Or use Windows Vista's built in cleanmgr;Type "cleanmgr" into run box, check all boxes.
    Run a thorough system defragmentation utility after.

*Disable Hibernation in Vista.
    *Reduce the number of profiles/users
    *Go through your own personal data, like pictures and music and back it up/get it off the drive.
    Consider purchasing another internal hard drive or two and then migrate your docs folders and other personal data off the primary drive.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Almost forgot to mention Vista's System restore; If your computer is otherwise working well right now, you
    may want to go into your advanced system settings and curtail the size and amount of restore points, or simply
    disable it altogether.

System restore may not represent the bulk of your "full hard drive", but it can certainly be contributory.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    All your temp internet files can be deleted, this includes cookies, history, etc. If you use IE, go to Control Panel, Internet Options, under browser history, choose delete and delete everything. You probably have many GB of temp files here. CCleaner will also help delete temp. files quite nicely.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks all of you. can I delete all the files in the appdata files (local, roaming, temp)? they seem to just be duplicates of other files that I have or have downloaded.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dovidshmuel View Post
    thanks all of you. can I delete all the files in the appdata files (local, roaming, temp)? they seem to just be duplicates of other files that I have or have downloaded.
    Be careful with these files. I'm not sure, but you might hose your system. Temp files. log files, temp internet files, yes. I would use CCleaner to help elliminate many temp files and error log files and such.

[attachment=90064:CCleaner.png]

This is what I clean up. Also see the Registry section. I'm pretty agressive about cleaning this as well. It will give you the opportunity to back up before clean up of the registry. Do It!!!

CCleaner will undoubtedly get you a lot of stuff back. Disable hibernate because it creates a file that gets over 3 GB in size. Good Luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Another hard disk space water is the Recycle Bin. Right click on the Recycle Bin icon on your desktop and select properties. Set a custom size less than a gigabyte.

Jerry

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks both of you for the suggestions. CCleaner got rid of most of my temp files, like you said.

Thanks
    Be sure to check the space reserved for System Restore as Clint suggested. Vista by default sets aside a maximum of 15% of each hard drive's space to record the restore points. Unlike Windows 7, which allows you to adjust the reserved space with a slider, in Vista you have to use the Command Prompt to change the size of the reserved space, or directly edit the registry.

Check out this article for instructions on using the command to see how many gigabytes are currently set aside, and how to issue the command to reduce the reserved space. You will probably save a considerable amount of disk space by setting the size to a max 3 or 4 GB.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for the great advice.