New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using Excel 2007 in Windows 7 Ultimate

I have a sheet that was created in Excel 97, or maybe earlier. The sheet tracks buy and sell transactions. Recently I noticed a discrepency and upon investigating I found taht there is a problem with the dates.

It has always been the norm to enter dates in teh short form 06/30/10 for June 30,2010. I noticed that the dates in the formula bar are now displayed as 30/06/2010 and in most cases they display in the spreadsheet correctly. However, in the case of the transaction I was tracing from April 1, 2010 the formula bar dispays the entry as 04/01/2010 and displays it as 01/04/10 in the spreadsheet.

The date column was formatted as custum mm/dd/yy. I tried changing the formatting but it always reads the data from the formula bar as dd/mm/yyyy and translates it that way unless the day is greater than 12.

I am working in English (Canada) setting in Control panel.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get back to the way things were? Or is it time to teach this old dog to think in a different format? ( I remember pencil and paper) :-)

Larry

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The original spreadsheet used mm/dd/yy.
    Your default is dd/mm/yy.
    The conversion from 97 incorrectly converted the dates.

This is a best guess from my assumptions about your post.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Larry - What happens if you try English (United States) in Control Panel?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lb14100 View Post

I have a sheet that was created in Excel 97, or maybe earlier. The sheet tracks buy and sell transactions. Recently I noticed a discrepency and upon investigating I found taht there is a problem with the dates.

It has always been the norm to enter dates in teh short form 06/30/10 for June 30,2010. I noticed that the dates in the formula bar are now displayed as 30/06/2010 and in most cases they display in the spreadsheet correctly. However, in the case of the transaction I was tracing from April 1, 2010 the formula bar dispays the entry as 04/01/2010 and displays it as 01/04/10 in the spreadsheet.

The date column was formatted as custum mm/dd/yy. I tried changing the formatting but it always reads the data from the formula bar as dd/mm/yyyy and translates it that way unless the day is greater than 12.

Does anyone have a suggestion to get back to the way things were? Or is it time to teach this old dog to think in a different format? ( I remember pencil and paper) :-)

Larry

I would open excel blank.
    Set your default to mm/dd/yy

open the 97 spreadsheet and then save as a new sheet in current excel format
    change default to dd/mm/yy
    re-save.
    Celebrate with a short trip around the room.

HTH (errors and over-flippancy mine).

Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lb14100 View Post

Larry
    Alternatively, format an entirely different cell with the appropriate date format, and reinsert the formula in the new cell by hand.
    then copy the content of the new cell over the old one, and erase the data. It may be the case that excel has a buggy conversion utility for date, so rewriting the cell with a new reference address may do the trick.

Again HTH

Paul