2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My laptop with Vista crashed - no saving it; however, the hardrive is ok. I pulled the disk from the laptop and can read it using a USB drive reader. I plug the drive in and can access the files through the appropriate program. When I try to access the users file to move My Documents to the new I get the error that I don't have premission to access the files, hit continue to gain access. I click on continue but I never get access to the files through Windows Explorer. How can I gain access to the files on the old harddrive to move them to the new laptop.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi shihalud, can you open the files when old hdd is connected to new laptop ?
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes I can, for instance if I launch Excel I can search the My Documents folder to locate and spreadsheet - and I can open the file.

Thanks
    Try this and see if resolves the permissions problem;

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "take ownership"
    Attached Files Attached Files
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    If Clint's suggestion does not work, and it should, I think you might consider using the command shell and procure the files needed. on your old drive.
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shihalud View Post
    Yes I can, for instance if I launch Excel I can search the My Documents folder to locate and spreadsheet - and I can open the file.
    Jolly good, now click, Edit>Copy to folder, then choose the location you want on your new laptop and thats it.

[attachment=90078:a.jpg]
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the help able to transfer files now!!