Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is possibly an internet/connectivity question, but Security seems closer to the mark.

I have Win 7 Ultimate which has its own security features, which I am not using at present, as well as Truecrypt, and I need a crash course in anonymous browsing and online security. I have the Kaspersky suite and assorted malware programs, so am not overly worried about incoming threats, but I have to at least go through the motions of preserving my browsing privacy. Not much of it matters, but suddenly it might. A quick look at anonymizer programs appeared to be non-Win 7 compatible. I would welcome advice and recommendations.

Thanks
    Privacy has multiple dimensions. For example, which of these are of interest or concern to you?

• Browsing history cleared after your session ("private browsing" feature built into the browser);
    • Browser cookies, Flash cookies, and other tracking tokens are cleared after your session (or blocked altogether for some hosts);
    • Browser cannot be fingerprinted through a unique combination of user agent and plugins; and/or
    • Connection is proxied through an intermediary so that your IP address is not recorded by the host.

Thanks
    Hi peterg, use Firefox.

[attachment=90071:ff.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am indeed using Firefox, and welcome Roderunner's advice on using the features in that. (Edited to add that in Firefox 3.6.10 there is a separate tool called Start Private Browsing.)

As for the suggestions of jscher2000, I would have to say any or all, in that I don't know the territory in terms of threats. My impression is that a number of those risks can be reduced or eliminated by frequent use of CCleaner, with selected options.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    As for the suggestions of jscher2000, I would have to say any or all, in that I don't know the territory in terms of threats. My impression is that a number of those risks can be reduced or eliminated by frequent use of CCleaner, with selected options.
    CCleaner and other approaches definitely tackle the first point, and at least partially the second:
    • Browsing history cleared after your session ("private browsing" feature built into the browser);
    • Browser cookies, Flash cookies, and other tracking tokens are cleared after your session (or blocked altogether for some hosts);
    • Browser cannot be fingerprinted through a unique combination of user agent and plugins; and/or
    • Connection is proxied through an intermediary so that your IP address is not recorded by the host.

The third is a method of identification and tracking that combines information from your browser to (nearly) uniquely identify you without having to set a cookie. This may or may not bother you. It's mostly used to target ads to your interests and behaviors, so if you are blocking ads or ad script, this may have no effect on your day-to-day experience.

The fourth is trackability back to your internet connection using your IP address. Since you presumably are not a political dissident attempting to avoid persecution by an oppressive regime, this higher level of anonymity may not be important to you. (But if you are curious, check out Tor and Anonymizer.)

Thanks
    I have switched back to IE 9 (yes it's available in beta) and Chrome 6. FF has gotten long in the tooth recently. I still have it available but seem to always choose IE 9, and occ. choosing Chrome. Each version of all the major browsers seem to include more security features than it's predesesor. IE both v8 and v9 include private browsing options as well plus include the ability to clear out browsing history, cookies, etc upon closing. Both IE 9 and Chrome are faster than FF.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I am indeed using Firefox, and welcome Roderunner's advice on using the features in that. (Edited to add that in Firefox 3.6.10 there is a separate tool called Start Private Browsing.)
    peterg, what addons are you using in FF ( its been my default browser for yonks) I don't like IE, tried Chrome, which may be safer but featureless. My FF addons are Betterprivacy, Trackmenot and Noscript.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Peter - Chrome Incognito mode may be of interest to you.
    Incognito mode (private browsing)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Tim, hello.

to Peter, you said : Chrome Incognito mode may be of interest to you.

I am using the "inprivate" mode for security and no surfing history. But it brings a question : is there a way to start this mode without first opening a browser ? So far, I have needed to open IE 8, hit Ctrl-> shift + P to be presented with the "inprivate" mode. I am then left with a redundant screen, under the "inprivate" one, of the first IE 8 request. I can easily get rid of it but there ought to be a more sophisticated way to get in this secure mode without having to first open a screen of IE 8. To my mind, just invoquing the hot keys should bring it up, no ?

Thanks for you attention. Jean.

Edit : a typo.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Parrot View Post
    Tim, hello.

to Peter, you said : Chrome Incognito mode may be of interest to you.
    Hello Jean - Chrome is a different browser, it is very clean/fast and takes up much less resources.
    New to Google Chrome?

Chrome and IE are two very different browsers.

Tim

Thanks
    IE setting in yellow.

[attachment=90089:q.JPG]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JA Parrot View Post
    is there a way to start this mode without first opening a browser ?
    If you search around the web for "start up in private browsing" you will find the suggestion to add a startup switch to your Internet Explorer shortcut. The Target would read:

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private
    This should work for clicking/double-clicking, but if you want a Windows hotkey or to launch in this mode for links, more research will be required.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello js2000, up yet ?

>>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -private

This is a fine reply from you, mega thanks. I will see if this works now. I will tell you. St-by one.

Jean.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Me again, js2000

While trying to set up this -private, I was looking at the shortcut on the Taskbar and saw that I could right click on it and a small menu would popup and it has the option to open IE in private, from the start. I will not have to fool around with the -private switch. This way, there is no double screen opened.

Thanks nevertheless for your attention.

There ia a drawback from going to IE in private, I have to enter all User Name and Password but the feeling is cuddling.

Have a nice day. , , , Jean.

Edit: terminology.

Lounger
    Thanks
    js2000, me still.

I see the qualifying "moderator" close to your name. Can you look up a post from me about asking to merge my lost "user-name" that got lost last week in August ?

Thanks again and sorry for the OT post. Jean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast